𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑽 - 𝑺𝒊𝒓 𝑪𝒍𝒂𝒖𝒅𝒊𝒖𝒔

~❦︎~❦︎~

Sir Claudius

~❦︎~❦︎~

~❦︎~❦︎~

"No more púcaí," Sir Claudius groaned, going to check and see if the spirit had gone from his dwelling. "I cannot stand them."

He ran his fingers through his long dark hair—uncut. It was all black save for a few gray streaks. The sound of his boots hitting the stone floors echoed throughout the halls and into the dungeons.

"Púca! I know you are here!" he yelled in Irish Gaelige. "I can sense you. Either state your business, or leave!"

He wandered around for a few more moments, his torch lighting up the Grand Hall. No one had been in there for years—the last person being his previous apprentice and housekeeper. Person, that is.

"There is no use hiding from me, púca," he declared. "You must be the same one that knocked over all of my potions the other week, is that so? That is what you must be hiding!" He swung his torch in all directions until—

Sir Claudius paused. He heard breathing.

The torch hung in mid-air, sparks flying off before hitting the icy ground. They died on impact.

He then crept toward the main entrance, cornering the fiendish púca. "You cannot escape me now..." His eyes began to glow, turning into balls of flame and locking on his target.

Athena screamed.

Sir Claudius doused the flames in his eyes. "My lass!" he called in English, sprinting to her side. "I am so sorry, my lass!" He grew stern all of a sudden, stiffening his back and standing up. "What are you doing here, so far from the village?"

"Sir Claudius?" Athena rose to her feet, but not daring to look into his eyes.

"Yes, lass, I am Sir Claudius."

She focused on his black boots. They were so dark they could have sunk into the floor and she would never have known.

He tried to lift her head with his eyes, but could not.

"Sir Claudius." She hastily curtsied, as though compensating for her rather unruly state.

He almost laughed and lifted a brow, cutting into his forehead. "Might I ask your name, lass?"

"Oh, of course!" The girl peeked into his face for a moment but immediately dropped her head again. Her scalp looked like golden rivers of fresh honey. "It's Athena. Athena Everleigh."

Sir Claudius' brow fell and the flames from his torch sparked, snapping and crackling. He turned around and began pacing.

"Is there a problem, Sir?"

"No, no, nothing. I suppose I—I have not heard a name like that in... many, many years." He ran his free hand through his hair. There were long scars upon his fingers, not unlike the scars she had seen on fishermen's hands. "Athena," he whispered, feeling the name in his mouth—his back still toward the girl.

"Yes, Sir?" She stepped closer.

"Oh, no, not you." He waved the back of his hand at her.

"Well, Sir," she spoke, taken aback, "I have come here for a reason."

"And what would that be?" He turned to face the girl.

"Well, first, I—I..." She paused for a moment, her silvery blue eyes whirring about the room before focusing on Sir Claudius. She studied his torso. "Achoo!"

He leaped backward.

"Oh, Sir, forgive me! I have awful allergies come springtime." She grabbed her handkerchief and commenced wiping her nose, although nothing came out.

"Yes, I see," he said. "Hmm... you wouldn't happen to be allergic to cats, too, now would you?"

She grinned. "Why, yes, that too! Might you have a cat?"

"I wish I didn't."

Athena giggled, the apples of her cheeks ripening.

Sir Claudius allowed a few of his teeth to show. "Now, why have you come here, Miss Everleigh? A young English lass in Ireland is something I wouldn't have expected, but a young English lass in my castle... that is nearly impossible."

"Oh, Sir, I am not English!" she laughed, looking into his eyes. "Well, partially, yes." Athena twisted her brows and touched her index fingers together. "See, my father is an Englishman—born in London. He met my mother on a visit to Dublin one day... and two years later came I!"

"A hasty conclusion might I add." Sir Claudius grinned but Athena's eyes remained focused on the ground. He cleared his throat. "I digress. What is the reason for your coming, Miss Everleigh?"

She shifted her feet. "Sir Claudius, I have come for work. I found your advertisement while in town. You are still seeking an— a housekeeper, yes?

He shuddered, but not due to the castle's chill. "Where are your parents?"

"My father did not feel well this morning. He had planned to come with me but—"

"And your mother?"

Athena's stomach shot up into her throat. "Well, she—she goes on walks in the mornings and then must take care of the children. I am the eldest of eight."

"Why aren't you tending to the children, seeing as you're the eldest?"

"Sir, please, I want to help support my family."

He scratched his beard. "How old are you?"

She bit her lip. "Nearly sixteen, Sir."

"So you are fifteen, then," he spat.

"Sir, I—"

"Yes, you are hired, Miss. Come back here by tomorrow at 9 a.m. Sharp." He turned on his heels, the boots squeaking across the floor. His cape flapped, almost hitting her in the face.

Athena Everleigh did not know whether to leap for joy, or to fall on the ground in tears. Everything about Sir Claudius was a sea of contradictions. Should I return? Does he know..?

Eventually, the girl rose and saw herself out the door. Once out of the castle's sight, she transformed and headed home.