Ocean | Withered With Hurt

Book : Withered With Heart  by Mamree
Reviewer : springoceania

Title

The first thing that attracts a reader is the title. The word withered is an uncommon word and it creates a curiosity to know more. The title is very much expressive and you have done a fabulous job in choosing such an apt title.

Cover

Action speaks louder than words, likewise, your cover gives a good idea what to expect in the story. Life is always about giving our best and a good cover will always attract the readers. A little more attractive cover will definitely add bonus points for your story.

Blurb

A very straightforward blurb that gives a clear picture what will happen in the story. A little mystery can be added to enhance the interest among the readers.

Introduction

A good introduction will always be etched in the heart. A short precap about the happenings in the protagonist's life, you have given a crisp, beautiful introduction. You have done justice to those characters. Good job.

Characters and characterization

Firstly, a big applause for taking such a bold concept. The pain and suffering of Khushi is well described. Her self analysis is what lacked in the original serial and you have done a good job. Her feelings are well written and the readers can definitely feel them.  The change in her approach towards everything due to a mishap is really commendable and her non callous attitude towards those who expect her to bend down is applause worthy.
Arnav's characterization will make the readers feel angry. Such is the power of your words.  The difference between Arnav and ASR is well defined. His anguish, the pain, guilt, rage and realization are so consuming that one cannot stop reading and pining for more. Brilliant work.
The rest of the family has a limited screen space but their real character is brought out and that gives a curiosity to know who feels truly guilty for treating Khushi in such an ill manner and who is acting. Especially Anjali's character is a bit confusing since, in the beginning, she appears to feel sorry and guilty but in the later chapters, her character appears different. I hope the future updates will give a clarity.

Plot

As mentioned by you, it's a controversial plot and I loved how you have given a different approach for it. The time frame is different from the original and that is a huge plus since, in the serial, it felt too rushed. Even after Sheetal’s exit, the plot intensifies and it's really commendable. But, the pace of the story is a bit slow. The face off between Arnav and Khushi  is the most important segment. May be, you can divide the story into segments so that it will be easier. Just a suggestion.

Grammar

The writing is easily relatable and can be understood by non native speakers too, but, a little bit of editing and polishing can make your work reach heights, it has so much of scope.
Sentence construction :-
The length of the conversations can be reduced a little  so that the readers can follow up. Also, instead of writing the full dialogue in a single paragraph, you can cut it into two or three so that the readers can give inline comments easily.

Conclusion

A very good story that has the potential to reach great heights with a little more polishing. I personally loved reading this book.

Plus points

▪️Title
▪️Blurb
▪️Introduction
▪️Plot
▪️Characters and characterization

Areas that can be improved
▪️Grammar
▪️Sentence construction
▪️Cover

Note:

This review is my personal opinion and I apologise if it has hurt anyone.