06

06 — ONE OF THE DRUNKS

Mark Lee is indeed nervous for his first day as an intern.

The sun-charged lights illuminate in an iridescent glow.

Mark always loved SM Entertainment building's architecture and scenery, for it has a significant touch that could be achieved by none other. Giant holographic billboards bring life to the entrance, few of which includes slideshows of their both upcoming and newly released games. A visible gap between the two halves of the building entraps outside wind during summer, and in return utilizes the preserved solar warmth during the winter. Everything about the place just screams 'neo technology' for the amateur technician, who undoubtedly fascinates the subject. Humans with born intelligence have the ability to discover such marvellous inventions, yet SM Entertainment is one of the few who actually utilizes it.

By far, getting into the company has been the luckiest occurrence Mark Lee has ever experienced, for he knows that he did not get in because of his wit or his achievements. Though deemed extremely gifted, there were also many 'gifted' people out there who signed up for the particular internship, yet he's one of the two people who eventually got recruited. Maybe he was able to get in because he successfully made Kim Sejeong – the director of human resources – laugh by his truly lame joke created by the middle of his anxious chatter. Maybe the other individual present in his interview (Kang Seulgi, the creative director) found talent within his shy, nerd boy persona. Maybe Kim Doyoung spoke loudly about his opinions and recommended him in the process.

Or maybe, this is all the years of unluckiness have bestowed him in return.

Whatever it is, it opened a whole new chapter in his life, a significant step that could evolve down for the worst or for better. Holding firm to the thought, he inhales a hefty amount of air and steps into the border that separates the upfront entertainment area open for public and the hardly seen complex at the back where the actual office is located, mentally preparing himself for his first human interaction.

Except, what was waiting for him was indefinitely not human. He steps in to find several counters with machines attached to them as a security checkpoint, allowing only clarified employees to enter the building. Unfortunately for him, the checkpoint area was empty, meaning that there was no surrounding employee he could mimic and that he has to figure the machine out on his own.

No need to be too nervous, Mark Lee. He says so to himself. It's not like the robot's not going to judge you for not knowing shit.

He anxiously straddles in, both of his hands awkwardly dangling back and forth, adjusting his height to properly face the droid. "Uh, hello."

It automatically lights up, startling him to pieces. "Good morning. Begin Identification."

"Identification? Oh shit." Mark steps out of the frame and scrummages through his sling bag. "What do you mean, Identification? You mean like an ID badge or something? I don't think they gave me one during my acceptance. Or a Resident ID – oh shit – I'm so sorry, I don't think I brought it, but I can 100 percent assure you that I'm a South Korean resident –"

"Yah," a voice of a woman calls him out from the other counter, diverting his attention. "Look straight to the camera and make sure your whole face's in the frame."

She then demonstrates the process herself, bending down lightly to have her face captured by the system. "Employee Aeri Uchinaga, Welcome." The machine chirps and opens up the blockade for her. She did not bother to mention anything back to Mark, immediately leaving the scene as Mark hastily copies her from behind.