12

12 — HEAVY SPECULATIONS

I don't know about you, but something about this place reeks.

It took a week for Joy to finally make up her mind and advance to KeyBe for further investigation.

Not only it is compelling as it is suspicious for an officer to march into a well-known kpop company without an inspection permit, but doing it unchaperoned might also induce lots of risks, such as getting silenced and abducted. Despite the weighted consequences, she couldn't separate her rationality from her inquisitiveness. Hiding her notes and her badge behind her spring coat, the tall girl makes her way towards the receptionist, never minding the baby pink backdrop that appears to be the whole concept of the company.

The word KeyBe was carved behind the receptionist's table alongside the company's logo. Joy notices a little 'brought to you by SM Entertainment' written below the title, additional info of which was not a revelation to her at all, especially with the signature SMTown pink imprinted everywhere in the place. She takes off her mask and approaches the woman on the desk politely. "Good morning. I want to speak with Kim Kibum."

The woman looks at her bewilderedly before replying. "Executive Director, Kim Kibum, you mean?"

"Yeah, is he here already?"

"We cannot disclose any valuable information about the director. Who do you represent?"

"No one. I'm here on my own."

"And you would like to speak to our director?"

"Yes. Didn't you get it the first time?" Joy notices that her tone was starting to come out rude, so she takes a deep breath to cool her head. "I just need to ask him a few questions. It's important."

The woman pauses. "So you're either a showbiz journalist or a lousy investigator."

Joy grumbles. "Look. I'm neither of them—"

"Then why are you here?"

"I'm here because—"

"Come on, darling, just give her a break." A recognizable voice of a man behind her breaks their argument at ease. Kim Kibum struts his way towards the hardheaded detective, earning her fullest attention. "I mean, look at her, girlie's a stunner. She's probably late for her Saturday Auditions."

Joy lowers her head, and her tense shoulders loosen up at the sight of her target. "I'm not here for an audition."

"Oh, but you should. To me, you got potential. I could cast you right on the spot." The director winks at her, unhinged. Joy notices that he acts the same as he does on TV: with his polished nails upfront, his strange combination of designer clothes that only he could pull off, and the naturally sassy demeanour that he oozes. Kibum places his finger on his lips, thinking. "So, what do you say?"

"I'll think about it," Joy purses her lips, "but only if you answer my questions."

He clasps his fists excitedly. "An impromptu interview? Not a problem for me. Let's just do it outside, and somewhere my employee doesn't see me."

The woman on the desk glares at him. "Director-nim."

"Excuse me, Darl, me and Sunshine here need to have a little chit chat." Kibum ushers her out of the building, his boots clacking as he walks back to the cemented streets.

"It's Joy." Joy corrects him, though it made her realize it was embarrassing for her to say her contentious nickname just like that. "But it's Detective Park Sooyoung to you."