Chapter 14: Space

Chapter 14: Space
Copyright 2021 by John Wells. All Rights Reserved.

Before I fell asleep, I suggested Debbie research to help my next plan of functionality: outer space. Today is Saturday, my first week anniversary, so I wish Dan a happy one mentally the moment I wake up. Debbie and I test yesterday’s lessons before breakfast. We discuss her research during the breakfast of waffles. I give Dan an enormous hug and kiss the moment he appears. Debbie decides, since I am all caught up with school, we can afford to spend the day working the research. I am amazed a week has been enough to fix what Debbie originally thought would take six weeks.

Debbie and I have talk alien movie possibilities, including watch some scenes. We know advance technology and enemies based on Dan’s vision, plus his confirmation yesterday. Whether their weapons can damage my shield is a question. I know I can board their ship, fire energy, and transport parts away, so my weapons should be a good match. Disabling their engines as they enter the solar system would be a great start to the battle.

Our plan for the day is to prove I can survive in space and prototype a camera Debbie can control in space. Debbie designed the electronics based on obsolete hardware in her server room.

After breakfast, Debbie directs me to the underground bunker where Dan stored her servers below the garage. The entrance is a hidden door in the wall getting below the stairs to the second floor. Only Debbie can release it. But knowing this is sitting below the garage, now I can transport directly here. Dan enclosed the room with special shielding in the cement to prevent detection.

Having used a computer at my old school many times, I am shocked by what I see. Thousands of desktop units without displays fill the room on tables lined up like shelves in a store. The primary unit at the bottom of the stairs has a display and printer with it.

Debbie tells me where to get the stuff I am to take apart. Once confirmed I have the right thing, I separate the components. It is done with magic similar to my branch bracelet, moving molecules around into the correct groupings. First, I remove all the solder. This allows all the components to be removed by hand, as they are no longer attached to anything. Last, I remove all the connecting metal off the boards. I end up with circuit board material, resisters, capacitors, integrated circuits (IC), metal from the boards that connected those various components, and the solder that held them in place.

Debbie directed my actions as I use those pieces to build the new devices. She instructs me to put together a camera with omnidirectional broadcast device to take with me. Next, we build the receiver for that broadcast. We start with the circuit board material. Next, we run the metal to where each pin of the components will be. Followed by removing molecules to make holes for the pins. Then, we slip a component into its holes by hand and move solder to lock it in place.

A radio wave was used to broadcast the picture from the camera. The data sent modulates the wave’s frequency higher for ones and lower for zeros before reverting to the center. The data sent is identical to a streaming video over the Internet.

The plan is to use the backup satellite dish on the roof to mount the receiver. I will mount the camera with batteries to power it on the satellite itself. I fly there, so we test both devices and prove they work. The battery powered receiver is mounted on the dish by me. I stood in front of the receiver, pointing the transmitter at it and its camera at my face. I reverse the camera to prove it broadcasts in all directions as planned. Debbie confirms all is fine. The dish shape focuses any received signals from above on the receiver at the center of the focus.

Next, I automate the air shield, warming a thin inner layer of air like I did with water by vibrating it, and underwater breathing together so I can test them in my tub. I transport there to the river, which because of its springs is normally cold, and get in it. I do not get wet or cold. Happy with the test, I get ready for my most risky experiment yet.