Chapter 3: Lunch

Chapter 3: Lunch
Copyright 2021 by John Wells. All Rights Reserved.

Since I had a few minutes, I took a quick look at the rooms in the entrance area. I was a little shocked Dan had skipped them.

The bathroom was very fancy and mostly empty, with a toilet, sink, comfortable chair, and a table with newspapers and magazines. A closer look told me they were all focused on business: Bloomberg, Business Week, Forbes, Fortune, Harvard Business Review, Inc., and the Wall Street Journal. While I could use this room, walking to mine was a better choice.

The living room was impressive and very Gothic in appearance. The sitting arrangement was on a grander scale, though similar to the library’s. But the room itself set a completely formal mood that I might never get used to.

The dining room made me think of the head table of a castle I saw once in a history book. The room could have been in a castle while the table filled it. Once more, setting a mood I wanted nothing to do with. I was completely happy the kitchen contained our dining room. If I never used the dining room, I would be ecstatic.

Jane was chatting to Dan as I entered the hallway towards the kitchen. They were talking about my shopping trip. The details I did not hear very well.

As I turned the corner in the hallway, Dan was sitting at the head furthest from me and immediately addressed me, “you can sit at that head, if you like as the lady of the house.” He watched me finish walking down the hallway to see what I did, so since Jane was to its right, I sat there. “Is your room to your satisfaction? We can change it however you wish.”

As I was thinking about how to reply, Alex and Tom came in from the game room. Followed by Betty and Elaine from behind me. They all sat in the same seats as earlier. Laughing, “it’s perfect. I can not believe the size of it. I also wonder how it appears to have sun light without windows.”

While I was answering, Jane got up placed plates and silverware in her spot. She when back to grab a platter of sandwiches and pitcher of soda, while Tom passed out the plates and Elaine passed out the silverware as they were sitting closest to her besides me. Jane placed those items on the table. Tom offered me the sandwiches and stated, “take as many as you wish.” I took one, getting his tipped head smiling at me, suggesting two might be better, so I took a second. They were my favorite, tuna melt, that I only ever had at school. Jane placed a glass in front of me and filled it with the soda. I guessed it was root beer by the color and the fact it is my favorite, so I take a quick taste to prove it. Not only was I right, but it was better than any I had ever had previously. She offered a bowl of fruit salad so I took a spoon full. There were my favorite fruits in it: blueberries, cantaloupe, cherries, grapes, honeydew, kiwifruit, pineapples, strawberries, and watermelon.

Meanwhile, Dan addresses my concern, “I am sure you have guessed I have magic, since I have shown you a few different forms today. Windows let things I do not want seen get detected.”

He failed to discuss how magic could do so. But, given my lack of knowledge on the subject, I let it slide. After all, even if he gave me the details I wanted, it was not like I would actually understand them.

I asked Dan about my exercise question. Dan’s response was, if I felt I needed it in a few days, he would figure something out. I knew there was room in my living room for some of equipment I had seen at my school, so I knew I could eventually handle it.

I thanked Dan and Jane for having lunch, made with many of my favorite foods. It impressed me that Dan could know stuff about me that no one knew. I told no one things I loved to eat. I am guessing it is more magic.

Soon the conversations filled the room, and I stuffed myself. I learned many things about my housemates just listening and answered those questions that were asked such as college major, class they belonged to, and city they came from.