19. Confrontations

There was a flurry of activity in the Cullens' garage by the time we arrived. Carlisle was standing by a cabinet, pulling out stacks of hundred-dollar bills. The others were loading the various cars with gear. "What's going on?"

"They're coming with," Edward replied. "To help."

"Whoa, whoa," Dean objected. "We'll handle this."

Rosalie looked over from her spot next to Emmett. "Fine by me."

Carlisle, frowning lightly, sent a disapproving look Rosalie's way before turning to Dean. "Sarah is with Edward. That makes her family." Rosalie narrowed her eyes while Dean clenched his fists. Carlisle met Dean's furious glare fearlessly. "We protect our family."

"She's not—"

"Dean," Sam said, shouldering past him with a duffle and tossing it into the car Alice and Jasper were by. "Give it a rest already."

Dean looked betrayed, as if Sam has just committed mutiny. I couldn't hold back a slight smirk. Spotting it, Dean glared before huffing out an angry breath. But he didn't say anymore as he stalked towards the garage door, leaving as soon as it began to rise.

Edward ducked under after him. I jogged to catch up. "None of you have to do this."

"You heard Carlisle." Edward continued after Dean, who'd reached the Impala. "They want to help."

"Not all of them."

Edward's jaw flared, but he didn't deny or defend Rosalie's opinion.

We reached the Impala. Dean had finished loading the trunk. "I take it you're riding with us," he groused to Edward as he slammed the trunk shut.

Edward met Dean's severe stare head on. "We both want the same thing."

"Oh," Dean said darkly as his footsteps crunched up to the driver door, "I doubt that."

"To protect Sarah and keep her safe." Edward went to the back passenger side seat, far as he could get from Dean's seat.

Dean stopped to meet Edward's eyes. He had a serious cast to his face as he said, "If that were true, you'd stay far away from her."

Edward's head bowed, as if dragged down by shame.

"Stop talking about me like I'm not standing right here." I opened the passenger door, pausing to glare at each of them over the Impala's hood. "I can take care of myself."

"Starting to wonder about that," Dean muttered as he lowered himself into the car.

With a glance at Edward, who was now brooding if that crinkle in his forehead and the low brows were anything to go by, I shook my head and got in.

"Where's Sam?" Dean wondered as he stared at the garage, obviously waiting for Sam to emerge.

"He's asked Alice and Jasper if he can ride along," Edward answered.

"What?" Dean looked shellshocked. I had to admit, I was a bit surprised as well. "Why the hell is he doing something like that?"

"He's asking questions," Edward answered, sounding amused.

"But with Jasper—" I said, uncertain.

"Alice sees everything going well." Edward gazed out the window. "Jasper's fine."

Dean was obviously as unhappy about this news as he was pretty much everything else. He turned the key harder than necessary to start up the Impala. As soon as it was purring, Dean swung around and headed back down the winding road that would lead to the main highway. The rest of the Cullens pulled out behind us.