11. Monsters

It wouldn't be a good idea to visit the funeral home before dark. We stopped for the newspaper at a gas station and visited a drive through for some food.

Back at the house, Dean was up and waiting. At the sight of the paper bags and tray of sodas, we all migrated to the dining room table.

I was halfway through my burger when Dean announced, "Dad called."

Sam and I exchanged a glance while I let the hamburger drift back to the plate. "He okay?"

"'Course." Dean paused to sip his Pepsi before adding, "I didn't tell him about your little adventure last night."

"'Cause there's nothing to tell."

Sam popped a fry in his mouth and mercifully kept quiet.

Dean shrugged his shoulders and took another bite. Speaking through a mouthful of food, he said, "You lied to me."

"I told you, I went with Jess and Angela—"

"Whatever," he cut off, pinning me with one of his hard stares.

I pressed my lips firmly together. Getting in a fight with Dean wouldn't go my way. He'd only dig his heels in further.

"He's teamed up with another hunter and they're trekking the Bogachiel River," Dean went on after a moment.

"Are they close to catching them?" Sam asked.

Dean shrugged before taking another bite. "Dunno," he said. His eyes then narrowed on Sam. "Them?"

It was Sam's turn to shrug. "There were two different sets of teeth markings on the body," he said.

"You're assuming the same bastards are responsible," Dean pointed out.

Sam nodded and looked back to his food. "True."

After eating, I sat with Dean in the living room watching television to kill time while Sam went upstairs to do his homework. After a few hours, I retreated to my room to look at the paper. The obituaries listed the funeral home Weylon Forge's body had been taken to for sending cards and flowers. The service was in a few days, so if we were going to get a look at the body, we had to do it soon. Unfortunately for us, it was all the way in Port Angeles.

I had no idea how we were going to sneak past Dean. Maybe claim we were going to a movie? Breaking into a funeral home and looking at a body couldn't take much longer than an hour and a half.

I tried looking for Sam in the office, but it was empty. I went to his room and knocked on the door. "Come in."

Sam's room was bigger than my own. Across the way, I could see a door that probably led to a master bath. The rest of was decorated with oak furniture—a standing dresser, king sized bed, and end tables. There were two windows to either side of a carved headboard.

Sam was laying on the bed, wires snaking from his ears down his chest, a paperback book in hand. He pulled an earbud out. "What?"

I lifted the paper. He sat up and reached for it. "Funeral home's in Port Angeles."

"Figured it'd be something like that, town this small," Sam replied as he unfolded the paper and skimmed the obituary.

"Think Dean would buy us going to a movie?"

Sam raised a skeptical brow. "Maybe." Sam paused, staring off at nothing as the tinny sound of music played on. "How about if we said it was for school?"

I thought of the movie we'd watched in Biology, and the intense feelings I'd had sitting in the dark next to Edward. Shaking the memory off, I focused back on our current problem. "Dean's not going to believe that we have to see a blockbuster movie for class."