15. Stories

All too soon I was back at the little white house on F street. I noticed the shrubs needed to be trimmed, and since I had promised to do all of Sammy's chores, that left the job up to me. I hoped Edward wouldn't think we were messy for letting them go so long. Lawn care just wasn't something we usually had to deal with.

But I needn't have worried. Edward's attention was fixed wholly on me. As the car's engine settled with various soft clicks, we stared at each other, hands still entwined. It wasn't quite night, but the flush of evening painted the sky. Bands of pink, oranges, and yellows blended into light blue and deeper indigo. It was clear enough that the stars would shine soon enough.

It was hard to enjoy the sunset with Edward next to me, his gaze as admiring as it had been in the meadow. I had the wild impulse to lean across the short distance between us and kiss him. Of course, I couldn't. It would be too dangerous to surprise him. And I didn't seem to have the same iron restraint that he had to keep my kisses chaste.

Our mutual adoration was put to an end when the porch light flicked on and the screen door creaked open. We both turned to see Dean in the doorway as if he'd never left.

I rolled my eyes and sighed. "Sorry about Dean." Sometimes it felt as if I did a lot of apologizing on Dean's behalf. "He's—"

"Looking out for you," Edward finished. He didn't sound bothered by it at all.

Lips pressed together, I fixed him with an unamused look. "I'm seventeen. I don't need a chaperone."

"It's me he doesn't trust. Not you."

My brows cinched together. "You can read his mind?"

Edward's mouth quirked to the side. "No, but I don't need to."

"You can't read any of our minds?" That couldn't be normal. Considering he could read everyone else's.

Edward shook his head.

"I wonder why."

His brows dipped slightly as he looked off to the side. "Unfortunately, I'm no closer to an answer. Carlisle doesn't know, either. As far as I'm aware, you and your brothers are the only minds I haven't been able to read." His hand slipped out of my hold. "You should go in before he grinds his teeth to stumps."

"Would serve him right." I gave Edward a last lingering look, basking in the joy and contentment just being with him gave me. The way his presence captured my awareness, heightened my senses as they fixed on him. I already dreaded the dimmer reality that awaited me when we were apart.

But he was right. I didn't want Dean to have a bad impression of Edward. It was harder than I'd thought to turn away and open the door. To get out of the car.

The air outside was free of Edward's scent. I already missed it. Nevertheless, I shut the door and walked away, careful not to look back. I kept my sights on Dean, instead. His folded arms and tense shoulders warned me he was still in a mood.

Behind me, the Volvo came to life with a quiet purr. It rolled down the driveway and pulled out into the street. Dean's sights followed as it sped away.

The car must have turned the corner because his eyes snapped back to me. "You okay?"

My returning look was exasperated. "Y'know, most people would ask if I had a nice time."

"Fine. You have a nice time?" He asked with exaggerated politeness.

I threw it right back at him. "Yes, Dean. I did."

By then I'd reached the top step. Dean was still blocking the doorway. We stood and stared for a moment. Finally, Dean's shoulders slumped, and his arms dropped to his sides. "I thought you didn't date."