13. Instincts

My thoughts weren't any clearer when it came to Edward and the Cullens, but that didn't stop me from anticipating the time I spent with him. The questions continued over the lunches that followed. Any and everything from the things I liked and disliked, my childhood, favorite memories, and what I did in my spare time. It was as if he wanted me to tell him all the thoughts and feelings he couldn't see himself.

He spent so much time asking about me I didn't get much about Edward or his family in return. Edward seemed far too interested in my life to spare any details about his. When I pointed out the one-way street our conversations were on, he gave me one of his dazzling smiles and claimed that it was his turn until the weekend.

This only increased my anticipation for the weekend. So of course the week seemed to drag on far too long.

Saturday dawned in Forks' typical gray fashion. The sunlight strained to reach the small town through a layer of clouds. But for the first time in a while, the clouds that sailed across the sky were delicate and thin. It looked as if Edward's promise of good weather was on track to becoming true.

Apart from his promise of answering a few of my own questions about himself and his family, I kept his plans for a hike in mind as I readied for the day. Thankfully, my wardrobe was nothing if not backwoods friendly. Old jeans and t-shirts were the norm, with one of my longer flannels to protect my arms from any stray branches. It also concealed both my gun and the machete. The last item was the scarf Alice had loaned me slipped into my pocket. My neck was better, good enough that I could give it to Edward to return to her.

After I was dressed, hair pulled into another simple ponytail and nothing but a light layer of eyeliner for makeup, I texted Edward to ask where we should meet. Thankfully, Edward responded within moments, asking me to give him an hour.

I passed the first half hour of that wait with breakfast. Afterwards, apart from homework, the only thing to pass the time was the television downstairs. I figured I had the rest of the weekend to do the former. Both my brothers were up and already watching a movie by the time I met them in the living room. Not wanting to field any questions from Dean, I kept my phone in my pocket rather than checking the time every ten minutes like I wanted.

Several commercials in, I was waiting for my phone to vibrate when the doorbell rang.

Dean was the first to stand. Sam and I stayed in our respective seats. Dean pulled the door open, and after a short observation of the visitor concealed beyond the threshold from my own sights, offered a curious, "Yes?"

My pulse quickened at the unmistakable voice answering, "Hello. You must be Dean. I'm Edward Cullen."

Dean's shoulders picked up as his chest expanded. His profile went from polite curiosity to diamond-hard distrust. Head tilting down, Dean's brows dropped to neanderthal levels.

"I'm here to pick up Sarah."

"You are." At Dean's flat-toned reply, I fought to keep the fear now spreading through my chilling blood from showing.

I could hear the smile in Edward's answer. "Yes. I promised to take her hiking today."

"You did."

Sam mouthed the word busted at me. My glare bounced right off his smug smile. But Sam wasn't the brother I needed to worry about.

I rose out of the recliner, a vague notion of interjecting myself between the two before Dean could wonder overmuch at Edward's pale complexion. I hadn't even made it halfway across the room when Dean glanced my way. His sights were hard as emeralds and as clear to read. He was not happy. "I haven't heard anything about this."