Distracted

Jacob's POV

     My eyes were stuck on her, I couldn't even see her whole face yet her presence alone had me lock in like metal to a magnet. I watched her profile shift back and forth between Ms. Davis and her notes trying to keep up, her eyebrows knitted together, while her teeth tugged at her bottom lip. She was the only one whose attention was dedicated to the lesson, answering nearly every question, her hands flying across her notebook every time Ms. Davis opened her mouth. 

  Every attempt I made to try to pay attention failed, my eyes always found their way back to her.  Trying to make a move on Rosalynn started as a way to entertain myself with a type I don't usually go for, but from then to now something shifted. I couldn't tell what it was, but I found myself enjoying her company and annoying her. 

   Her genuine dislike towards me was new to me. Some girls may say they "disliked" me, but  deep down they longed for my attention and caved the moment I gave it to them, but not her. Since I first interacted with her last week to now, she still rolled her eyes and flicked me off with the same intensity and even now she still looks good doing it. My mind drifted off to think how before a week ago I barely even noticed that we shared a class, much less 3. Funny to think this was all thanks to a poem she read in this very class. 

   She rolled her neck around, then twisted her back around in her seat to stretch in my direction locking eyes with me. Immediately she looked me up and down, lips curling slightly into a frown, and with a roll of her eyes and a quick flash of the finger, she twisted toward the other direction to stretch before refocusing on  Ms. Davis. I shook my head trying to snap out of it and tried to give the board my full attention. Not even a second later, the ring of the bell signaled the F I'm going to get on the next quiz as I looked down at the clean white page that sat on my desk. 

   I shoved all my stuff into my bag before my feet gravitated straight towards her. I hadn't planned to approach her, which lead to me just lingering awkwardly behind her,  trying unsuccessfully at figuring out what to say while she packed up her things. 

   Her hand flew to her heart with a shriek as she got up and noticed me. "What the fuck, Jacob. Scared the crap out of me."

   "My bad didn't know you scared easily." I saved smoothly letting out a nervous chuckle.

   "I don't! Why are you standing over me like a perverted creep anyway?" She spat at me as she started for the door. 

    "I wanted to see if I could walk you to your locker."

    She stopped in her tracks and stared at me seeing if I was serious or not. I flashed her a big smile, holding my elbow out to prove how serious I was and a small part of me wondered if she would actually take my arm, but as expected, she turned on her heel and completely ignored my gesture.

   "It's a free country, Jacob."  I heard a soft breathy laugh come from her as she shook her head and walked towards the door without looking back.

     I followed her lead out the classroom, a slight satisfied smile played on my lips as I admired her hips walking away. We walked in a comfortable silence down the hall with the usual occasional glances and whisper from bystanders. I was thankful for my height as I peeked down at her hugging her books tightly to her chest and her eyes focused towards the floor. Even though my head completely overlooked hers, she wasn't short at all, she stood at a height that you would notice her if she walked past you. But the way she hugged herself, hiding behind her books, and barely looked up made her look small, which gave me one of the reasons as to why I probably barely noticed her before. 

   "Damn Jacob, take a picture it lasts longer." 

  And just like that, she once again caught me acting like a creep. Rosalynn stared back at me, arms crossed and lips curled up in a teasing smirk probably because she feels like she has one up on me since I had a reputation to uphold. Everyone here knows I don't get caught up females, so being caught staring unintentionally, twice, definitely didn't support that.