Chapter 2| Stages of grief

There are five stages of grief denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. It felt like my heart was going through it all at once. I didn't want to believe it, I was angry at who or whatever killed him, I was coming up with ideas and trying to find ways he could've escaped, and I was breaking on the inside. The one thing I wasn't doing was accepting it. He had to survive. For me, for Bill, for his parents.

It broke me to hear my best friend grieving. I myself wanted to break down and cry, but I had to stay strong. Bill needed me. I rubbed his back and kept telling him that it would be okay. That was the thing. I didn't know if it would be okay, I just had to keep telling myself that.

The police leave and Mr. and Mrs. Denbrough walked back into the kitchen in tears. They see Bill and me on the floor and leave us be. They walk upstairs leaving Bill and me alone again. I look down and see that Bill had fallen asleep crying.

I picked him up and carried him upstairs. When we get to his room I lay him down and put the covers over him. As I'm about to leave I hear Bill start crying again. I turn around and he's staring at me.

"P-puh-puh-lease d-don't l-l-leave m-me. I-I d-don't w-wa-wanna l-lose y-you t-too." He managed to stutter out through his tears.

I hated seeing him like this. I walk over and push some hair out of his face, "I'd never leave you, you're my best friend and I wouldn't change that for the world."

"S-stay h-h-here, p-plea-please." He begged

I grabbed his chair and sat beside his bed. I grabbed his hand and ran my thumb over it in comfort. It wasn't long before the boy dozed off. I silently got up and wrote a note

Dear Bill,

I know you asked me to stay, but my family was expecting me home. Feel free to come over or call if you need anything. I'll always be there for you. I'm just a few houses down. Don't be scared to ask if you need space. If you need a shoulder to cry on or any comfort I'm happy to help. Remember to eat regularly and stay hydrated. I love you, you're my best friend. Please come to me if you need anything. I left you a snack, some water, and medicine in case your headache is still there. I'll be checking on you tomorrow.

                                                                                                                                   Sincerely, your Best friend, Y/N

I finished the note and put it on his nightstand. I walked downstairs and went to the kitchen. I grabbed a cup and filled it with water. I went to the cabinets and grabbed some cheese crackers. I carried it upstairs and set it down by the note.

I went to the bathroom and grabbed some medicine. I went back to his room and set it down. As I set the medicine I saw a picture. It was of Bill and Georgie. The two were sitting on a bench laughing. I could feel a tear roll down my cheek, which I quickly wiped away.

I gave Bill one last glance and left.