To Bite Back

((A/N: This is a part of a Secret Santa Wings of Fire writing prompt thing hosted by Ever_Dragon. The title is the prompt I've been given, so I'm doing my best with my OCs. Hope you enjoy!))

"Siderite, I want you to remember this your whole life," the Mudwing father began as he tossed a talon-sized boulder to his son, which was caught after a bit of fumbling.

"...Mhm?" the hybrid answered, looking around for any dragons who saw the bad catch. Seeing that there was no one around on this plateau, not even his mom, he let out a small sigh of relief. Siderite underhanded the boulder back to his dad.

Russet stepped forward a bit to catch it with ease, then put it down on the ground next to him, turning his brown eyes to stare into Siderite's red ones.

"When someone bites you, it doesn't matter who they are. They could be your best friend, your worst enemy, a total stranger. It. Doesn't. Matter." the father paused a moment, making sure that his son was taking in this information to heart. Siderite's red eyes displayed nothing but seriousness and a hint of confusion, and Russet continued, "You bite back."

The Mudwing gave his son some moments to absorb this wisdom.

Siderite's Mudwing frame shifted around a bit uneasily. He seemed to be thinking about what he just learned, contemplating this contradictory sagacity.

"Always?" was the only word that seemed to question this shared insight.

"In all cases." Siderite's father answered, "Whatsoever."

Even though he still remembered that experience, it wasn't like Siderite expected to actually utilize that lesson.

But here he was.

"Don't you have better things to do?" a maroon Skywing sneered as he flew over to where Siderite was perched.

"Yes, actually. Much rather starve to death than eat actual food."

"Well then, you should known that that is MY herd. Been given full rights. I propose you stop eyeing those cows."

"Where do you suppose I could find my own meal than?"

"I dunno. Just go exploring for a bit, sure you'll find something edible. What matters is that you aren't here." The Skywing smirked and even licked his lips as he surveyed the area before him, full of glorious cow meat.

"Hm...how about I..don't." Siderite replied, giving a huge flap of his wings to lift him into the air.

The hybrid didn't know exactly how he expected that snob to react, but what actually happened was probably towards the bottom of his list.

Instead of screaming in agony or running to his mommy, the Skywing actually proved himself semi-competent in quick reflexes. He lunged up, jaws open wide and closed Siderite's light brown tailtip.

The hybrid's first instinct was to pull away and get himself free. When the jerk of his tail only brought the Skywing closer to him, Siderite did what he was told.

He bit back.