Men Making Machines

Clang,

clang,

squeeeeeeeaak.

Daniel cranked the bolt tighter.

The covering had been attached, and the panel had been fixed. Daniel stepped back as the device whirled to life.

A green bulb lit up to show that the power was on and the machine was working. He nodded in satisfaction, then turned around and walked to his workbench. Daniel grabbed his toolbox and a bottle of D-Fuel, then clicked a check-out button and walked out of the building and into the city.

He opened the bottle and poured the liquid into his mouth, letting it slide down through his throat. Putting the cap back on, he then quickly looked about the city he walked through every day to get home.

There weren't many buildings, but most that did qualified as skyscrapers or warehouses. It was hard to tell what was actually inside each building, but Daniel knew that each had a purpose, and most had machines that he could fix (if they had problems of course).

However, he knew exactly where his home space was, and walked the dirt roads over to it. Daniel passed a few other men coming home, but some still had to work.

The mechanic stood at the door for a few seconds before hitting the check-in button, at which point a pressure-releasing sound was heard and Daniel could enter the clean lobby without force.

There were many other people in this building, but most didn't pay attention to him. Which was understandable, since they all had some job to do and tasks to complete. But luckily, his was done for the day, and he could recharge.

Daniel stood in front of a white wall and pressed another checkpoint button. A similar pressure sound whistled and the "wall" slid open to reveal his living quarters.

He put his toolbox down, then drank some more D-Fuel and set the bottle close to it. Taking a few more steps, Daniel put his left leg on the malleable mattress, then sat down on it. His right leg joined the other one, and he leaned back. The mechanic's back touched his bed, and his eyes closed.

((A/N: This is the shortest one yet and the last of the "kickstarter" in this book. This was just a random original idea and a short teaser-esk/exposition of it. If you have questions or theories I would love to hear them, since there is definitely something going on...or if you would like me to write more in this universe just tell me! And again, thank you so much for 75 followers. You guys are all special, everyone is, and I'm happy that you guys support me. Ta-ta for now!))