Chapter 1

I sighed, before closing the door to my silver 2010 Toyota Camry, a car that couldn't stand out if it wanted to, but I guess that's the point.

With yet one more sigh, I straighten the black blazer I wore with my uniform and begin my way up the steps to the school. I noticed that my height, 6 feet 2 inches, made me stand among the taller few in the school. Despite the obvious stares of students who recognized me as new, I kept my tunnel vision.

Not right now... Bennett.

I made my way into the main office before making eye contact with the receptionist. I paused before speaking, "Bennett Davis, here for my schedule." I ended slightly more like a question. She nodded quickly and printed a paper.

"Your first class is calculus, you can find Mr. McKinnley's room on the main floor about halfway down the first hallway," she said with a polite smile.

I nodded in thanks, and turned away. As I walked through the door of the office, my attention was drawn to the semicircle of students that had formed around some lockers just down the hallway.

I rolled my eyes, knowing the preppy uniforms we all donned couldn't suppress the immaturity that seemed to come with a flock of teenage boys, and there was no doubt a fight going on behind the wall of people. My dad always used to say that the more teenage boys in the group, the lower the collective IQ got. As much as I felt insulted the first time he told me that, I can't say he was wrong. The dumbest stuff happens when there's a large group of boys, take it from me.

As I walked by, I heard a small voice speak up from behind the wall of people, though I missed what it said. The curiosity was killing me. A quick peak wouldn't hurt, would it?

So I sidestepped subtlety before peeking on the inside of the group. Stood in the middle was a petite girl with, slightly wavy, very pale blonde hair that fell to a few inches below her armpits. She was dressed daintily in her uniform of a white button up shirt tucked into her dark green plaid skirt, and a black blazer. The top half of her hair was tied back with a matching dark green ribbon. Beside her was a boy with his blazer sleeves rolled up to just below his elbows. He spoke loudly, "Alright losers, the show's over."

A collective grumble of disdain that the entertainment had ceased came through the crowd like wildfire, but I had already continued on towards Mr. McKinnley's Calculus room.

I suppose this boy came to her rescue? I wondered, partially because I had nothing else to do.

When I entered the classroom it was just me and the teacher. I approached his desk at the front of the room.

"I'm Bennett Davis, a new student. Are there any empty seats in your class, Mr. McKinnley?" I hoped to avoid any drama or conflict by discussing this with the teacher before other students showed up.

He directed me to a desk near the middle but off to the side near a window. Soon other students began filing in, and the chair next to mine scraped back before someone slumped into it.

"Hey man, who're you?" It was the boy from inside the circle earlier. I leaned back in my chair before giving him a quick once over. His blazer was removed and he had his white sleeves pushed up to just below his elbows, and his khakis were slightly wrinkled like he'd been in a rush this morning. He had light brown hair that was styled in a minimal way.

I slowly answered his question, "Bennett Davis, new student. And you are?" I fired back at him with one eyebrow raised.

He smirked before responding, "Shane Moore."

I think we're going to get along well, I thought to myself.

"What brings you to Thortendale, Ben?"