Chapter 2

Sometimes your brain just says no. Maybe it says no to a weird thought, or maybe it says no to an action. Today, my brain said no to school.

I grumbled to myself before slapping my alarm clock to quiet it. I rolled onto my back. Is the second day too early to need a mental health day?

Some things are a lot harder when you're 18 years old and live alone, like I do. I don't have parents telling me to eat breakfast because it's the best way to start a day. I don't have parents making sure I don't skip a day at school. I don't have parents around at all.

I miss mom and dad.

With a groan I dragged my hand down my face before sitting up. I took a quick shower before dressing in a clean uniform. I stood in front of my mirror and tied my dark green tie, before straightening my blazer. Grabbing my phone, I walked out of my room and went to the kitchen.

My apartment was small, but quaint. The government pays for it anyway. I had nice enough furniture, but not enough to make it hard when I inevitably have to move again. Besides, it was only me living here.

I grabbed my backpack and my phone, deciding I'd buy a lunch at school today. On my way out the door, I grabbed my keys from the side table next to it. I learned early on that if I was going to live on my own, I needed to be responsible for my apartment and it's maintenance.

I walked down the stairs because I didn't feel like waiting for the elevator, and strolled to my car. Unlocking it, I slid into the drivers seat and turned the radio on quietly.

The drive to school was just over 5 minutes, and I pulled in 20 minutes before classes were set to start. I made it to my locker and put in the code that I had already memorized for simplicity. As I opened it I felt a light punch on my left shoulder. As I turned to see who it was with my brows furrowed, I saw the culprit: a grinning Shane, and a brightly smiling Elliana. The happiness between the two of them brought a slight smile out of me, causing me to relax.

"What was that for?" I asked lightly.

"Just making sure you remember us, your best friends." Shane teased back at me.

"Hi Elliana." I greeted gently.

She lit up, "Hi Bennett!"

"Hey Benny Boy, my buddy James is having a fire tonight. El and I are going, do you want to come too?"

What kind of nickname is Benny Boy? I elected to ignore the nickname for now and directed my attention back to Shane. I wasn't expecting an invite to a party with them only a day after knowing them, but who am I to turn down a party.

So, I shrugged. "Sure man, if that's alright with the host."

"He'll be cool with it." Shane grinned.

After a beat, I nodded at the two of them, "I can pick you both up if you want." It's only fair if they're making an effort to include me, the new kid, anyway.

They agreed, and Shane walked Elliana to her class before meeting me at Calculus. As we settled into our desks I glanced at the clock. I already couldn't wait for this class to be over.

It went fairly quickly despite my constant glances at the clock. I sighed in relief when the bell went off signaling the end of calculus, before standing and collecting my books and papers.

"Come on man, I have to go pick up Elliana from her class." Shane slapped my shoulder in a friendly manner.

I furrowed my brows. "Why do you always walk her to her classes? Are you two dating?"