The Blind Blocker

Summary: Tsukishima forgets his glasses. How will he go about his day? Very mild TsukiYama if you squint (that pun was very much intended).————————————————————————————————————

Kei Tsukishima is known for many things. He's smart, tall, salty, and much more. What many don't really know is that he's basically blind without glasses. People never realize this, since the last time he ever forgot his glasses was when he was in grade school (and his vision wasn't even that bad back then). Plus, whenever he takes them off he manages to process his surroundings before doing so, just in case anyone asks him to read something in the distance during that brief window without his glasses. Other times, he would take them off for a long time only when he knows he won't really be told to do anything. He wasn't going to let this detail go out, not after keeping it for so long. Who knows how much people will tease him about it? Being the one who can analyze spikers on the court in seconds, yet can't see without two pieces of glass in front of his face. Pathetic.

Too bad that unknown detail is going out today.

He left his house in a hurry that day. He was studying for a Math exam last night, and hadn't noticed the time until it was near midnight. As a result, he woke up late and ended up having to rush everything. From taking a shower to eating breakfast, it was all a blur. And in going in such a rush, he left his glasses on his bedside table. 

Even now, as he is waiting impatiently for the pedestrian lights to turn green, he still hasn't noticed. Now, saying that he's basically blind was a lie. He's nearsighted and as a result, he can't see details from afar clearly. He can see people just fine, but step back a bit and he probably won't be able to tell what expression you're making... okay, maybe saying he's basically blind wasn't a lie.

He managed to run to Karasuno High just in time, with five minutes to get to his classroom. As he ran to his floor, he remembered that his brother, Akiteru, was still there in their house that morning after visiting him and his mom this weekend. He persistently offered to drive Kei all the way to school, so he wouldn't be late. But looking at the traffic he passed on the way, he was glad he didn't take the offer. 

Now he's on the floor where his classroom resided. He still hasn't slowed down his pace to make sure he would really make it. As his feet came in contact with the floor every second, the rest of his body suddenly came in contact with something else. Or rather, someone else. 

"Tsukki?"

"Yamaguchi?" Tsukishima said, and when he finally got his bearings after falling to the floor, he helped his best friend get up. "Sorry about that," he continued, "I wasn't fully sure if I was gonna make it in time by just walking, so I resulted to running."

"It's fine, Tsukki. Hey, at least you're not late, right?" Yamaguchi let out a small chuckle and rubbed the back of his head, smiling.

Then Tsukishima paused, wait. I don't see the smile, why... why is his face blurry? Is this a dre— no I'm not that stupid. I know damn well I woke up today.

"Oh Tsukki, your glasses," Yamaguchi said when he realized the middle blocker started squinting at him. "I'll go look for them. You probably dropped it when we bumped into each other." 

And look he did, but he couldn't find it anywhere, no matter how much he searched. He walked back to his friend with a frown on his face.

When Yamaguchi told him that his search wasn't successful, Tsukishima thought. Shoot, shoot, shoot. I just realized that the traffic lights weren't clear earlier when I was running (it's a miracle I didn't crash into anything). I swear if I forgot— no I never forget them. Maybe...