Ch. 20: Burn

I can't deny how comfortable this is. How with our height difference, I fit almost perfectly under his chin when I hug into him.

I can't deny that I kind of forget we weren't alone, either.

"Ah, I didn't know he was your beloved!" The comfortable hug cut to an abrupt end, both of us yanking apart like we were on fire. "Some of the other villagers mentioned that they thought you two were together, but now I see it! Was the ride romantic for you?"

I want to die now.

"N-no! We're not-"

"We're not together-"

"Oh, my manners. I'm sorry. I see that you enjoyed yourselves, which makes the next part easier!" The shepherd walked over to our two horses and took them by their leads.

"The next part?" Dream answered for us, moving away from me so there was at least a foot of distance between us.

"I would like to gift you these two horses." My jaw dropped.

Gift us a pair of horses?

"No! No, no I can't possibly-"

"It's quite alright! We have other horses; we can spare two for you. You've shown us nothing but kindness, and you saved my sons. So, please, accept my offer on behalf of me and my sons." The shepherd offered again, holding the leads out towards me.

I looked up at Dream for help, but all he did was shrug in return. I want to say no, but it doesn't seem he'll take that for an answer.

"I-"

"There you two are." I looked away from the shepherd as George came through the gate towards us.

Thank god, maybe he can help me say no to this far too generous offer!

"I heard something about horses running through the streets, but I guess I should have just come here first." George gave us a cheeky smile, to which Dream looked away as though he were innocent.

As if it wasn't his idea in the first place.

"Please, accept my offer. These two should help you return to your home quicker and come visit us again soon." The shepherd didn't forget about his offer to me.

But he does have a point. We could use the horses to get to and from the village quicker, which would mean we could work between here and home and hopefully get closer to getting back to our homes.

"Alright. But please, no more gifts than these. You've all given me far too much already." I pointed out, stepping back when the shepherd let out a happy cry at us for accepting the gift of the horses.

"Thank you! My sons will be so happy to hear you accepted them!"

With that done and promising to come back for the horses before we leave, we escaped from the far too generous shepherd.

"Why did he just give you horses?" George asked the second we were out the gate.

"Because our Princess saved his sons." Dream answered as we started down the stairs towards the main square of the village.

At least, I think it is since the villagers like to gather around that bell.

"Oh, okay...So...we'll be able to get home quicker I guess." Thank you, George, for feeling as uncomfortable about this as I do!

"I tried to say no..." I whined, happy when George wrapped an arm around my shoulder and pulled me to his side to comfort me.

"I think it's perfect though. The horses that are like us get to go home with us." Dream mused, winking at me through the mask when I looked up at him.