Ch. 54: Time

Privacy was a hard thing to come by before, but now it's a thing of the past.

Since the villagers of Hillshire joined us three days ago, they've been staying in our "bunker" as one of their miners called it?

Sticking two dozen or more villagers into one rapidly filling building was a bit much. But on the plus side, some of the farmers just wanted to work and forget about what happened.

Our farm grew by more than triple its previous size on the first day.

The privacy issue was in that they didn't understand the concept of closed doors. They just come right in, not even bothering to knock.

Nick all but surrendered his bedroom to Arius for the time being. He's now a permanent resident in Dream's room with Dream and I.

Much to Dream's chagrin on that because Nick then invades on his own privacy.

Now where does this affect me?

It affects me in that Nick and I can't use his room to have alone time, and Dream and I can't have alone time in his room. George and I can't in his room either, since for some reason the children from Hillshire really like his window view and enjoy running in and out of there.

So, our little relationship is a bit...testy currently?

It's hard to keep each man happy when we're restricted basically to one room. Each of them wants attention, and there's only so much time in the day with us trying to get houses up for the villagers. We don't even have time right now to focus on our original task of finding more information for getting home.

Dream's chest rose and fell steadily under my hand, his own hand lain lazily over mine. George was snug behind me, but unlike Dream and Nick he wasn't asleep.

Neither he nor I have gotten much sleep since the battle at Hillshire.

The memories of the battle, and the ones before during our imprisonment and escape from the Pillager city, rage too violently behind our closed eyelids.

George pressed a lazy kiss to my bare shoulder before cuddling closer. "Get some sleep, sweetheart."

"You need some too." I turned my head enough to look at him out of the corner of my eye.

George leaned over, kissing me gently before laying back down. "I'm trying. It's..."

"Hard."

George nodded into my shoulder, and I leaned a little more back into his embrace.

"We should talk about it." I reminded softly, since talking about it last time helped.

"When we have time." Of course. When we have time.

But when do we ever have free time now, with how we're trying to get the villagers settled into our home while we build their own homes?

"George-"

"Please, luv, I know. I just..." George sighed, cuddling impossibly closer and laying his face in the crook of my neck. "It feels like it's our fault."

Isn't it though? If I had killed Keres back then, would the surviving Pillagers have stormed Hillshire?

Would they have lost family? Would they have lost everything they ever knew? Friends, homes...

I didn't realize I was crying again until a thumb brushed over my cheek, wiping away my tears before I pulled away from Dream's shoulder to turn around and face George fully.