Chapter 1- Into the Gates of Hell

Ok, So this is now edited! Hope you enjoy!

Chapter One- Into the Gates of Hell

“Is that everything?” My mother asked as she looked around the now empty room, a large box in her arms.

“Yeah, that’s all.” I said after a slight pause. I rested my chin on my knees as I gazed around the room that held so many of my memories.

“Ok, well I’ll go put this in the car and give you a few minutes alone. You sure you’re alright?” She walked over to where I was sitting; curled up on my window seat and laid a hand on my shoulder. I moved my shoulder away from her touch like it burned me and turn my face away from her. I heard her quiet sigh, but refused to acknowledge her.

“I’m fine.” I mumbled, staring at the pink mark on the wall from when my best friend Samantha accidently spilled a bottle of nail polish after one of our many sleepovers. The memory filled me with sadness, just one of many reasons why I didn’t want to leave.

Even though Samantha swore to call me every available second she had, somehow, I doubted our friendship would stay as strong as it has been over the past five years.

“Alright then, I’ll be in the car waiting. Just come out when you’re ready. We have to be there by four and it’s a two hour drive so just don’t take too long.” She said. I didn’t answer; nor did I turn around until I heard her footsteps going down the staircase of our home.

It may be childish, but I don’t care. I’m pissed. I have been pissed ever since she came up with the stupid idea to ship me off to some secluded boarding school up in the mountains.

At first I thought she was just messing around, I laughed at the idea of me going to some posh boarding school for snobs. But soon, I noticed things, like how she kept closing the tabs on her laptop every time I entered the room; or how I would find messages on the phone from people I have never heard of asking to call back if she was still interested.

For a while, I thought she had started internet dating or something, and even the idea grossed me out. But soon, I even started to doubt that idea.

It wasn’t until an acceptance letter came in the mail one day when mom wasn’t home. While it was addressed to her, I was intrigued by the emblem in the top right corner. It was a gold crown with a thin red band around the base and a raven behind it, its wings spread. Underneath the emblem, in cursive ink, read ‘Luxe Academy’.

That’s when it all clicked into place, her behaviour over the months before hand, her guilty expression every time I would mention how happy I was about my senior year.

When she came home that night I screamed at her, fury burning in the pit of my stomach, my throat aching from the constant stream of words that poured out of me. I can still remember the tears of frustration that threatened to spill from my eyes at any given moment.

To this day; I can’t get over the fact that she would do something like this to me after the year I had… She never even gave me a reason why she was sending me there.

My thoughts were interrupted by the sudden honk from our silver Corolla Altis outside. I growled in frustration at my mother’s impatience. So much for having a few minutes by myself… I thought. With one last look at the now empty bedroom, I left, closing the door behind me.

I guess I’m not only closing the door to my bedroom, but closing the door on my old life and everything I knew. I sighed heavily at the depressing thought.

I purposely took my time heading down the stairs, looking at the pictures that hang crookedly on the wall. I pause at one photo in particular. It’s of my father and me; taken a few years back, our faces smiling up at the camera and our light brown eyes are shining in happiness. I stared at my bright, carefree smile; as my dark brown hair blows in the wind behind me.