Chapter 2: Tem

This cannot be happening...

No, I refuse to believe it, it just can't be...

I sat there, reading the newsletter. "Tem the Alpaca, was devoured."

I can't believe what I'm reading, I only met him last year. He had so much to live for, he had so much in his life, why now... My phone had been going off, I was so shocked about the news I didn't even notice. It was Louis. 

"Unmei, you saw the news right?" Louis' voice was so professional over the call, but I could hear a sense of despair lingering in his tone.

Gripping my phone, I start stuttering. "I-I... I saw... it was just yesterday when we last saw him! Who would do such a thing!?"

I was distraught, so this is what Yafya was on about. This was what divided herbivores and carnivores... The fear of predation... Louis then broke the silence.

"I will be having a meeting with the other officers of the drama club, so I'll be late to our meeting afterschool, so I need you to go there as my eyes and ears, okay?" Still sounding professional as always.

This probably had something to do with Tem, after all, he had one of the important roles in our upcoming Adler play, so it made sense.

"Of course Louis, I'll let you know if anything goes down." I replied.

I still can't believe he is gone... But we have to be strong...

"Louis, how do you feel about Tem's de-" the words didn't even slip my mind, I didn't mean to ask him that, of course he was distraught! "Sorry, I don't know why I ask-"

"It's alright, I'm very upset about the current event that went down, I chose him for that role for a reason, he had what it takes to be a star, but sadly, his star burnt out too quick." Louis said.

Louis always had a way with words, even in situations like these, no wonder why he is in the spot to become next Beastar, something that both of us strive to be.

"Yeah, alright Louis, I have to get ready now for the day." I said that as I hung up the phone.

The school's atmosphere was just sad. Animals were clearly seperating themselves. Herbivores with herbivores, carnivores with carnivores. All my life, I had planned on bringing the two classes closer together, but this proved to be much of a challenge.

As I was walking along the halls, I see a tall gray wolf standing right in the corner. I knew him from drama club, but he was very seclusive. He never really comes out from the lighting pits to talk with the others.

"Hey, what's up?" I came up to him, patting him on the back.

He jumped from the instant my hand touched his back, I guess I gave him a good scare.

"Sorry about that, I was just trying to ease the mood you know? After reading the newsletter, I thought that it was a good shot to try and cheer up everyone I meet." I smiled, trying my best to try and fix the hole that was Tem's death.

It was still uneasy for everyone, but I have to start somewhere.

"I'm Unmei, I've seen you around drama club but I never caught your name."

He looked uneasy, but that was expected. The school's atmosphere must really be that strong, plus I did just startle him moments ago.

"L-Legoshi... my name's Legoshi." said the wolf.

On our way to the drama club meeting, Legoshi and I were having small talk, and by that, I mean literally small talk. We only had like 3 talks bouncing back to one another, yet there wasn't much to say to keep it going.

He was the only person who I never really got to talk with in the club, so this was a first for me. We got into the room, hoping that the atmosphere would be better in there.

"Oh no... this can't be happening here too!" I whispered to myself.

The drama club was segregated as well, Elise the Zebra and Bill the Tiger were the two leaders of both parties, exchanging hurtful words to the other. Sanu the Pelican came in, shocked by the division of species as well.

"Guys, please, we can't be doing this now. I get that Tem was a part of drama club, but this isn't what he would want." I tried to tell the room, but Elise clapped back.

"Unmei, you know very well about the carnivores in this room, as well as Tem. You cannot deny that fact." she said.

She was right, Tem was closely involved with the carnivores in the club, but why would anyone want to hurt him?

"Are you accusing us of something?" Bill looked at Elise with rage.

There was no quelling both parties now, all I could do was let it die down.

I grabbed my phone and pulled up Louis' contact. "The club members are having an argument, it is not looking pretty." I texted him. 

"Well that was expected, after all, it was a devouring." said Louis.

"I tried to mediate with the two parties, but Elise clapped back at me with straight up facts, I hate how smart she could be."

I was starting to wonder how Louis would handle this, but I just ended giving myself a migraine.

"That's all the information I have as of now Louis, I'm heading out. All this stress is giving me a migraine."

I informed Sanu about my departure and headed to my room. 

This whole thing didn't settle right with me, it was more than just a migraine. I felt as if my stomach was twisting its insides, my lungs not taking in enough oxygen, my head became more dizzy. I was about to pass out.

=====
Edit: While editing, I've come to the conclusion that introducing Rokume this early in the story wasn't the move. Knowing that, I cut that part out of the chapter, so now this chapter just goes over how Tem's death affects the school.