Chapter 3 | British Space Invasion

Lireal

"Wait up," a voice called from behind me as the person swung their arm around my shoulders.  "Where are you heading off to?"

I looked behind me to see the new boys.  I tucked some stray waves behind my ear as I attempted to duck out from under his. arm.  "Can I help you?"

He twirled a lock of hair around his finger.  "You can, yeah.  Why don't you sit with us at lunch?"

"I don't even know you.  Any of you."

He stopped where he was, arm still firmly wrapped around me.  "Right you are."  He cleared his throat before sweeping into a low bow.  "Charles Winthrop, 2nd in line to the Dukedom of Sidhe.  These," he gestured to the boys.  "Are my brothers.  James, Cedric and Trevor," he said as he gestured to each boy in turn.  They each gave the same flourishing bow at their name.

"We have been searching for you for a while now," James said.

I raised my brows at that.  "I've been here the whole day.  I was just heading to the library..."  I gave the five boys a look that must have been a potent mixture of confusion and being weirded out.

He tilted his head to the side as he scrutinized me.  "You've changed since we last met," he murmured.

I didn't bother answering.  British guys must just speak differently.  Maybe he was referring to when I first met him in class today.

"Can we come?" Cedric asked as he jogged over to my other side.  "We could use a tutor to help us with classes here."  He swept his fingers through his gold waves as he bit his lip.

"I guess," I sighed reluctantly.  I didn't want to be rude to the new boys, even if they were a bit strange

"Great." he said, clapping his hands together once.  "Er...where is the library again?"

Sighing as I rolled my eyes, I reached up and grabbed Charles hand, then dragged him towards the library.  The other boys soon followed in our wake.

"Li," my sister Sabriel called.  Sighing once more, I pinched the bridge of my nose.  I was never going to get to the library today at this rate.  "Aren't you going to introduce us to your new  friends," she purred as she hungrily eyed the four of them.

"Sabriel, this is Henry, Charles, James, Cedric and Trevor," I said as I pointed at each in turn.  They weren't bowing this time, they were looking between the two of us.

"Pleasure, I'm sure," Cedric gritted out while Trevor attempted to drag me away, not bothering to greet her.  She jerked back as if she had been struck.  Her lips thinned and her eyes glinted dangerously.

"Yes...we'll talk...after school Lireal, won't we?"

"I guess."  

"We have a lot to catch up on, after all."

Great.  She was going to make my life miserable until she had them wrapped around her finger.

We were all quiet for a few minutes as Sabriel continued to openly ogle the boys as I nervously shifted from one foot to the other.

"Well, I'm going to the library now," I blurted as I turned around, taking the opportunity to escape the strange boys.

"Wait," one of them called as I rounded the corner.

"You can always sit with me and my friends," I heard Sabriel purr.  She was welcome to them.

_______

I had ten minutes left to eat my lunch now.  Great.  I pulled out my bagged lunch and set my canister of tea, peanut butter and jelly sandwich and granny smith apple on the table.  I pulled out my latest book, Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood as I began to eat.

I was just getting to the part where Snowman was describing how his dad's girlfriend ate salad when a large hand reached around me and grabbed my apple.  Startled, I dropped my book as I looked up to meet Chase's eyes.

Confused, I silently stared at him for a few moments.  "That's my apple," I said dumbly as I watched him munch away at it.

"Well, now it's mine," he said with a smirk as he bit into the apple.

I opened my mouth to protest, but another voice cut me off.

"Flirt with her on your own time Chase.  We have business to attend to, remember," Jason, star of the wrestling team, said impatiently.

I turned around, surprised and frightened when I saw that Chase had been distracting me as I had been surrounded by the most popular boys at school.

All of which were now Sabriel's exes.

Why was I always the one to suffer for Sabriel's mistakes?

A/N: What do you think will happen next?  What do you think of the characters so far, who's your favorite?

VOTE | COMMENT | LIKE | ADD | FOLLOW | SHARE

STAY SAFE | HAVE A GREAT DAY