Chapter 2 | the British are Coming

Lirael

By the time the weekend had ended, all anyone could talk about was the new British family that would be starting today.  I was already done with it.

"So," Tiffany started.  "How many guys are there again," Tiffany demanded as she once more re-applied her signature ruby-red lip gloss.

"Five," I sighed.  "Just like every other time you guys have asked," I muttered.

"And they have three sisters," she continued.

I hummed in response to that.

Most of the time it was great working as the editor of the school newspaper.  Other times it was just an open invitation for acquaintances to pester you for information.

"Five boys," Tiffany purred.  "They won't know what hit them."

I couldn't help but agree as we finally pulled into the parking lot.

_______

I made my way to homeroom, heading towards my seat, only to stop in my tracks.

There were three boys sitting at the desk I usually sat at on my own.  "Um, excuse me," I mumbled.

All three of them turned to me at the same exact moment, the same exact looks plastered on their faces.  Had they practiced that?  "Yes," the one in the middle with navy blue eyes and chocolate brown hair demanded.  "What now?"

I shrunk into myself slightly at the unnecessary response, clutching my bag to my chest as I did.  What was their problem?

"N-nothing," I stammered as I backed away from the three.  "I was just going to ask if it you would mind if I sat here," I said, instead of telling him that he was in my seat.  The boy sitting next to him with dark brown eyes eyed me as his nostrils flared, while a younger boy with golden hair and sky blue eyes nudged the one in the middle as he lounged in his chair, nostrils flaring, as he eyed me with interest.

The angry one in the middle narrowed his eyes as the second one sent a wink accompanied by a lopsided grin my way while he eyed me, his nostrils flaring as well.  Strange...

Stiffening my spine, I continued in a rush.  "You see, that's where I usually sit with my friends.  That's okay though, I'm sure I can sit with my sister," I mumbled, unsurely.

I hurriedly walked past them as I made my way towards where Seraphina would always sit with Scarlett and Amber as Tiffany didn't share homeroom with us.  She always left a seat next to her empty in the hopes that I would "share some sister time" with her.

"Hey Li," she greeted as she hungrily eyed the rude boys who were now watching us as they whispered to one another.  "Did you talk to them to," she mumbled distractedly as she leaned around me for a better view.  She waved Scarlett away dismissively as she nodded to the chair to her right, eyes never leaving the three.

"Yeah," I mumbled.  "They were kind of rude though."

She turned to me at that, eyes burning.  "What did they do to you," she demanded, a fierce look painted across her face as her friends watched me in interest.

I leaned back slightly, eyes wide from surprise.  "N-nothing," I said.  "I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding."

"I'm sure it was," she muttered angrily.  "They are rude," she agreed while Amber and Scarlett nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, totally," Scarlett drawled.  "We went over there to offer them help with anything they might need in the future and they just told us to go away.  Us!"

I felt them watching me and turned around to see that a fourth boy with dark, shoulder-length curls had joined them.  They sat there, huddled together as they continued to whisper as they watched us.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you," Seraphina said suddenly.  "Grace and Lisa got the flu from Hedy."

"Why didn't they tell me..?"

"They said that they tried to call you a couple of times this weekend but you never responded.  What were you doing, studying or reading?"

"Reading," I snapped, before clearing my throat.  "I-I mean reading."

"So predictable," she grinned as the teacher walked in.

"Am not," I mumbled.

The whole class, I felt eyes burning into me.  Eyes that I was determined to avoid.  Those boys would be nothing but trouble.

_______

"Did you see how they were staring at you the whole lesson," Seraphina squealed excitedly in my ear.

I shrugged non-committedly as we made our way towards Physics, bane of my existence.

"What do you have next," she demanded as we headed towards the math building.

"Physics," I snapped.  Her eyes widened, but I couldn't bring myself to care.  I had told her how hard it was for me to manage to get into Mr. Pythagoras' class.  I'll see you later," I mumbled.

I quickly made my way into class, sitting next to Hedy.  "Hey Hedy, feeling better," I mumbled.

"Hey Li," she said.  "What has you so down?" 

"Seraphina," I sighed tiredly.

She didn't respond, just shook her head as she patted my shoulder.  "Why are two of the new guys staring at us," she suddenly whispered.

I turned around to see two of the guys from my previous class staring at me as the one with golden-brown hair whispered to a girl with a long sheet of silvery-blond hair.

I narrowed my eyes at the three before turning back around.

Not before I noticed their eyes trained on Hedy's arm or that the three were making their way towards us.

A/N: What do you think will happen next?  What do you think of the characters so far?

Don't forget to follow me for the latest updates!

VOTE | COMMENT | LIKE | ADD | SHARE | FOLLOW

STAY SAFE | HAVE A GREAT DAY