Chapter 1 | the Second British Invasion

Lirael

"I'll drive us home after cheerleading practice Li, ok," Seraphina said impatiently as she eyed her black and red French manicure critically.  She looked up to meet my eye, perfectly manicured brows raised in question.

"Sure Sara," I said quietly as I played with my fingers.  My shoulders slumped slightly and I longingly eyed the hallway that led to my escape from reality: the library.

She sighed, stopping in the middle of the hall, hand on hips.  "Is this because I forgot you last year," she demanded in exasperation.  As if I had been at fault.  As if I had no right to feel anything.

It hadn't been one time.  It hadn't even been the first time, never mind the last.

"No, I told you it wasn't a big deal."  I sent a small smile her way to prove my point.  I just wanted this conversation to be over with.

She stared at me for a moment before letting her hands drop to her sides.  "If you're sure," she said.  "I really am sorry though."

"I know you are."  I opened my mouth to continue when her best friend, Tiffany, accompanied by Scarlett and Amber strutted towards us in their towering deathtraps.  I eyed the skyscrapers warily before turning back to my sister.

"Seraphina," Tiffany drawled in her nasally voice, tossing her chestnut hair over her shoulder.  "What's taking you so long, I'm simply dying of hunger!"

"More like thirsty...for her latest prey," Scarlett muttered playfully, the coffee brown of her eyes sparkling.

Tiffany didn't disagree, merely smirked as she continued to examine her blood-red nails.  "Coming," she demanded, brow raised.

"There's supposed to be fresh meat coming in tomorrow straight from the U.K.," Amber sighed dreamily as she tucked some stray curls behind her ears.

"Are we good Li," she asked softly.

"Yeah, we're good."  I was eager to escape this interrogation, eager to escape her.  We may look the same, but everything else was complete opposites when it came to us.

"See you later then," she called distractedly over her shoulder.

I watched them for a few minutes as they strutted down the hall, arms linked as they bent their heads together to whisper and giggle by turns.  She didn't glance back.  She never did.

She had considered them her sisters more than me since she became popular in middle school.  I was certain if we weren't identical she would deny we were related at all.

I headed for the library with a quiet sigh, brown lunch bag in hand.  I made my way in the back to my usual table, pulling out my latest book as I did.

Flipping through to where I had left off, I immersed myself in Harry Potter land yet again.*

_______

After my last class of the day, I headed out to the library once more to wait for my sister  to finish practice.  Soon enough, practice was over and I headed to the school parking lot.   I watched as she came out, surrounded by fellow cheerleaders.  I rested a hip against the hood of her blood-red Jaguar as I watched everyone.

A few stoners were leaning against the school, passing around a blunt.  One girl with pink and yellow hair smoked a cigarette as she stared straight ahead blankly, smoke weaving intricate patterns around her before slowly fading.

A few guys from the football team were joking around nearby, eyes glued to the doors as they waited for cheer practice to wrap up.  I pulled out my book once more as I scrunched my nose.  I really needed a new prescription for my glasses.

The faded blue doors slammed open as my sister, the cheer captain, made her way towards her car surrounded by the rest of the team.  Chase, the star quarterback of the football team shoved his way towards her.

"Hey babe," he said as he slung an arm over her shoulder.  Her freshly showered shoulder.  Uh oh.

"Chase," she hissed.  "I just showered and now you have me all wet with your sweat!"

He simply sent a lazy grin her way as he whispered into her ear.  Whatever it was, it hadn't helped.

"Chase," she screeched as she shoved his arm away.  "Gross!"

He smirked down at her and wiggled his brows.

"Ugh, I can't take you and your "maturity" right now.  We're going on a break," she said, uncaring of how his face had fallen.  She gave him no room to argue.

Everyone knew what she meant when she said she was taking a break from whichever guy she was currently dating.  It meant that the Seraphina Cacherbelle was simply done with you.  Once Seraphina was done with you, there was no way she would date you again.

You might run in the same circles as her, but you were henceforth invisible to her and her followers - particularly her best friends.

"Wha---but why babe," He cried desperately as he pulled at his auburn waves.

She simply ignored him as she made her way to her car where I quietly waited.  "Come on Li," she said.  "It's beginning to reek of desperation," she sniffed.  "I'm famished---any suggestions?"

Shrugging, I followed her, letting her open the door as we hopped in.  "Hestia's Pizzeria," I suggested hesitantly.

"Sure," she said as she pealed out of the parking lot, leaving a heartbroken Chase in her wake.

A/N:  What do you think of Sabriel and Lireal?  What do you think of their relationship?  For anyone wondering, I got the names Sabriel and Lireal from one of Garth Nix's series; I just loved the sound of their names.

*No, I do not approve of some of the things J. K. Rowling has said.  I do approve of the Harry Potter series though.

VOTE | COMMENT | LIKE | ADD | SHARE | FOLLOW

STAY SAFE  | HAVE A GREAT DAY