Better Hurry

(Evie's POV)

The first thing I see when I wake up is a mess of purple hair entangled with mine. Even if I can feel a little guilt crawling up in me for sleeping with Mal, who'll soon be marrying someone else, the warmth of her body next to me is something that never fails to make me smile. And I need to spend every last moment with my best friend before Ben'll be taking her away from me. Stop, I think, wanting to push away all my doubts. You will not be losing Mal. Ever. She herself said so last night. Oh well, Mal doesn't now what's coming her way today noon. Perhaps it will be serious enough to make her take back what she said.

For a moment I literally just stare at her. The curve of her nose, that wrinkles so cutely whenever Mal scrunches her face. Her eyes holding the mesmorizing green glow under the closed eyelids. Those thick eyelashes, which flicker so innocently when she wants to convince a teacher she had a good reason for showing up late. Her soft cheeks, always so pale, yet now burning red from the warmness of our shared bed. And her hair, the beautiful shade of purple, that always frames Mal's face perfectly with its waves, and that I have countless of times helped to redye because the blonde roots were peeking out. I know everything about Mal. I know the way she feels, the way she thinks, and the way she's to be treated. That's what the years and years of bestfriend-ship have thaught me. I can get the signal from any of her movements, get a whole story from one flicker of eye. Us two, we work like one. We know when the other one is uncomfortable, where to go if we want to find each other, exactly what to say to make up after an arguement. We even know each other's favorite animals; Mal's is a sloth, wouldn't guess. So yes, if anything, I can say I know Mal. Only I absolutely don't know what I feel for her, I guess. Why does it have to be so complicated?

My staring session is interrupted by Mal suddenly yawning and blinking her eyes open. I quickly shut mine, pretending to still be deep in dreams. And apparently I do it well too, because Mal seems to take extra care not to rustle the cover as she gets up. Fuck, fuck, I'm supposed to be keeping her out of the others' way, I panick, remembering Ben's plan. The memory of the coming  proposal flushes over me in a new way now. Since I cannot change what Ben wants to do, even if I'd like to, I'll at least try to make it as nice for Mal as possible. She deserves it. So what's the plan? I can't let Mal anywhere out of the school, can't risk her getting a glimpse of her very own feast just yet. It would actually be the best if she could stay right here in our dorm. But how can I convince her? C'mon, it's not that hard. I tell myself. It's practically what you do every single weekend, just stay in your dorm.

Suddenly I hear Mal making her way to the door and realize that I'm still stuck here with my eyes closed. DO SOMETHING, my insides yell. So right when she's about to push down the handle, I sit up. "M? Where you going?" I ask in a pretend-to-be sleepy voice. "Oh!" she says and spins around. "I thought you were still asleep! You know, tired after last night. . ." Mal stares at me, realizing what she just blurted out, and clearly debating wether to say more on the sublect. A part of me, the part that acted excited for Ben's plan, is hoping she doesn't, meanwhile the other part screams for me just to tell her, to get the weight off my shoulders. "Well I was just going to scare the boys in their dorm," Mal finally chuckles, hand still on the doorhandle. "On a Saturday morning? Cruel," I laugh. "Besides, your not going anywhere. Your queen's not feeling the best." I pull on my biggest pout. Mal smiles her comforting smile and leaves the door. "You are the cruel one here," she says as she jumps back on the bed and starts tickeling me to death. "Hey!" I squeal in between laughs and snorts, but she doesn't stop; Mal's determined to make me feel better. Thank you God for giving me her.

(Mal's POV)

I don't stop until Evie literally can't breath anymore. We're both all sweaty and the bed's a mess, but Evie is smiling as widely as she could. Intention achieved. I take off my jacket and start brushing my fingers through Evie's hair as she rests her head on my lap. If just I could see what's going on in her brain, I would feel so much easier. "Can we just stay here? I don't really feel like getting up," Evie says, looking up on me. Of course she doesn't feel like going anywhere and actually, to be honest, neither do I. "Sure." And then for a moment we're silent again.