In Blue And Purple

(Mal's POV)

Long after Evie drifted off last night, I was still awake, sketching the sleeping girl. Every beautiful detail got transported onto the page, even if I wasn't focusing on the work at all. I had drawn Evie so many times before that my hands already knew all the movements, the ways to capture her body with a pencil. Meanwhile they worked, my mind wandered far away from the sketch, yet still focusing on the same person as it. The one that had just kissed me.

Does it count? Was she just so tired and shocked, or so desparate for comfort that she did it? Was she in her right mind? Will she even remember it? It's hard to shake away the doubts as I rewind the dream-like moment of my lips on hers in my head. It had just happed so suddenly, in every way I wasn't expecting, with three words only.

All I can say is that from my part, the kiss was three thousand percent real. Something I have longed to give my best friend, my Evie, for ages. And it did feel like that from Evie's part too, she actually wanted it, asked for it, she really cared for it. For me to kiss her. But then again, I can't know. Evie had just been beaten up by that fucker, she was shocked and a little out of her mind, and could well have done it, you know, accidentally. I can't know if she did it out of love. I can only wish.

I get out of bed, finally, after a night full of sleepless hours of thinking. Class's about to start in less than an hour, but I make sure not to wake Evie up. I have decided to let her rest for the day; she shares like every class she has with Doug, and I know she's nowhere near ready to face him. Unlike me. Because, as I figured out in the night, if Evie's kiss for me last night wasn't real, there is a guilty for that too. Someone who hurt her so that she couldn't sort out her thoughts, someone who dared to make my Evie scared. And I think I'm going to let that someone know that no one, and I mean no one, can get away with anything like that. No one can except to be able to hurt the person I love the most, and not have to face my wrath. I will never let it pass.

I scribble a quick note for Evie and then head out of the door, a smirk dancing on my lips.

(Evie's POV)

i decided to let you sleep and not go to class today:) please don't kill me, i love u

-M

I giggle, reading Mal's note over, extremely relieved. I'm already much too late for class, having slept in, so now I don't have to pretend I'm capable of going. Because I very well am not. And Mal knows that and will probably come up with some kind of an explanation for my absence and spread it around, to save me from the curious. Because she just is amazing like that.

Mal. She kissed me last night.

I close my eyes, reliving the surreal feeling of her lips against mine, the feeling I have carved to feel for so long. She must have done it out of pity. I was so scared last night, she felt bad for me. So she did want I asked her to. I don't know. I don't know if Mal actually kissed me, or just kissed me. All I actually know for sure is that from my part, the kiss was three thousand percent real. Something I have longed to give my best friend for ages. I loved every second of it, even if it was fake. I can only wish Mal did too.

My thoughts start to get me feeling uneasy inside, and I have to get up and give myself something to do. Sitting down at our table with my, exuse me, our laptop, I suddenly notice a drawing laying on it and reach for it. Oh my god. I can literally feel my heart melting in my chest. The drawing shows me fast asleep, and it's undoubdetly done with Mal's gentle hands. She sketched me when I slept. And left out all the ugly marks. I run my hand over the lines that form my body on the paper, and crack a soft smile, blowing a mental kiss to my dragon.