Just a Little Stick

Later that day turned out to be the perfect time to visit Mr. Abernathy. Olivia had ditched me for Marcus, John was working a shift at The Marauder's Cove, and my parents were blissfully out doing whatever parents did when they weren't busy working.

"Good afternoon, Blake," June said as she held open the massive front door for me. She took my hands and kissed my cheek as I entered. "Can I take your coat?"

June, I had begun to notice, seemed perpetually happy. I briefly wondered if Thomas had asked Margaret to compel her that way, but I quickly pushed that notion out of my head. Thomas would never allow June to be manipulated. If all these years of living in a house teeming with vampires hadn't fazed her by now, it probably never would. I envied her and wondered how many years would pass before I experienced the same level of comfort.

"I saw Margaret this morning," I said as I shed my coat and handed it to June. "She said Mr. Abernathy wants to speak with me."

Despite working for the city and its human populace, I was beginning to think Mr. Abernathy didn't do anything but sit behind his desk all day requesting audiences with his vampire minions.

June placed a hand on my elbow and steered me in the direction of his office. "He does," she said. "I'll take you straight to him."

"Do you know what he wants?"

"I'm afraid I don't." She pressed a button on the wall and, speaking through the intercom, informed Mr. Abernathy of my arrival. Given his sharp vampire hearing, this was probably overkill.

"Splendid!" came his quick reply. "Please show her in."

Clenching my hands at my sides, I steeled myself as June opened the door for me. "Mr. Abernathy," I said, and then stopped short. "Oh. I didn't expect to see you."

John's sire Ian gave me a cursory nod before turning back to the older vampire sitting behind his desk. "Are we done then?" he asked.

Mr. Abernathy leveled his gaze at Ian. "As long as we have an understanding, Mr. McAvoy."

"Aye," Ian said. "I understand perfectly."

Mr. Abernathy let out his breath, visibly satisfied, and smiled. "Then you may go. Help yourself to a bit of refreshment."

Ian promptly rose. He refused to meet my eyes, and yet he hesitated at my side upon leaving as though he wanted to say something. After a slight pause, however, he slipped wordlessly through the door.

I entered the room and closed the door behind me. "You wanted to see me?"

"Thank you for coming so quickly," Mr. Abernathy said. He motioned to the chair that Ian had just vacated. "Please, have a seat. It seems we have some business to attend to."

"I was planning to come to see you anyway," I said, easing into the chair. "I need to talk to you about something."

Mr. Abernathy's eyebrows disappeared into his hairline. "Oh?"

"It's about the—" I cleared my throat, feeling like I had something stuck in it. "Uh, the recent price increase on blood. I overheard John and Thomas talking about it."

Sitting back in his chair, Mr. Abernathy folded his hands in front of him. "By all means, share your thoughts."

"It's just that John has been giving me blood from his supply. He doesn't complain about it, but we don't have enough to share. I can see it in his eyes. He's hungry, and I know he's hungry because of me, and I—"

Mr. Abernathy raised his hand. "I understand your concern, Miss Ehlert. These periodic price increases, however inconvenient to some, are not out of the ordinary. Rest assured I have everything under control."