Blood and Money

"She already left?" I said, staring at Olivia's mom as I stood on their front porch. "But she always gets a ride with me."

"I don't know what to tell you," Olivia's mother replied, distracted by Henry and Eleanor each hanging from a leg, barking like puppies. "She got a ride with some other girl this morning."

"Who?" I said, feeling distinctly put out. I thought Olivia and I had patched things up and reached an understanding about my being a vampire.

"Oh . . . what did she tell me her name was?" Mrs. Martin gave her right leg a good shake, but little Henry hung on, determined. "It was something old-fashioned and—"

A fist of ice gripped my insides. "It wasn't Margaret Abernathy, was it?"

"Yes! Margaret." She shook her other leg to dislodge Eleanor. "Wait, did you say Abernathy?"

"I've got to go," I said, turning and bounding down the stairs.

"Oh, okay. Bye, Blake!" she called after me as I jogged across the yard toward my car.

Ramming my key into the ignition, I punched the number for John's cell. "She's got Libby!" I yelled when he answered.

"Who's got Libby?"

I put the cell on speaker and reversed out of the driveway, my hands shaking as they gripped the wheel. I wondered if vampires could hyperventilate. "Margaret! I have no idea why, John. What are we going to do?"

"All right," he said. "Calm down and let's think rationally—"

"Calm down?" I interrupted. "In case you've forgotten, this is my best friend we're talking about!"

"Margaret won't hurt Olivia," John said in an annoyingly pragmatic tone of voice.

"She's crazy!" I screamed, nearly missing the yellow light that suddenly turned red. I slammed on my brakes and screeched to a halt, my back tires skidding.

There was a slight pause and then, "You're right. Meet me at school."

The light turned green and I sped down the road, almost plowing over a few speed-challenged pedestrians crossing the street. Blaring the horn, I stuck my head out the window and yelled at them to get out of the way. After pulling into my spot at school, I dashed for the brick building.

"Blake!"

I looked up at that sound of her voice, my knees buckling in relief at the sight of my best friend still alive . . . until I saw Margaret trailing behind her.

"I waited for you," I said, relief giving way to anger and suspicion. "I went over to your house when you didn't show up this morning, only to have your mom inform me that you got a ride with Margaret. Why didn't you call?"

"Oh, sorry! Margaret invited me for waffles before school," she answered, flashing a bright smile.

"Since when do you hang out with her?" I demanded, my eyes darting to Margaret.

"What are you talking about? Margaret and I have been friends forever." Her mouth turned down in a pout. "You know you don't have to be jealous, Blake. We're not in middle school anymore. We can all hang out together."

I turned a ferocious glare on Margaret. "Please tell me you didn't."

"Compel her?" Margaret smiled. "Of course I did. I had a very enlightening conversation with my little brother."

My insides twisted again. "About what?"

"I think you know. There's no sense in trying to deny it."