Unhappily Ever After

Almost immediately, I got a Facetime call. I didn't have to look at the screen to know that it was Olivia. I ignored it, but then my cell buzzed with a text. I peered anxiously at the message.

I C U.

Wondering if ignoring the message would deter my best friend, I reached to turn out the light. Maybe Olivia would think I'd gone to bed.

Coming over, buzzed another incoming text.

I sighed. I guess not.

Getting out of bed, I tip-toed past my parents' room where they were sound asleep, and crept downstairs to let Olivia in.

"It's past midnight," I whispered when she appeared at my front door holding a sleeping bag under one arm and a bulging duffel in the other. "What's all this?"

She pushed past me, heading for my room. "You've got a lot of explaining to do. I thought it might take a while."

"What are you talking about?"

Halfway up, she turned and glared. "Don't play dumb, Blake. You know exactly what I'm talking about."

"Lower your voice," I said. "You'll wake up my parents and then my mom will get involved. Speaking of moms," I said, as she barged into my room and dropped her stuff on the floor, "does yours know you're here?"

She collapsed on my bed. "I texted her. She'll see it in the morning."

I closed the door behind me. "Won't you get in trouble for sneaking out?"

She waved her hand to dismiss my concern. "You're practically family. Anyway, I said you were having some sort of extreme meltdown and needed me."

Olivia shed her stiletto boots and clothes before rummaging through her bag for sweats and an oversized shirt. Next, she went to my vanity where she began using my hairbrush to brush out her long, corn-silk hair.

"Something's going on," she said. "I want to know what it is."

I folded my arms over my chest. "What makes you think something's going on?"

"Because I know you."

"Maybe not as well as you think you do."

She swiveled on the stool to glare at me. "So you admit something is going on."

"I never admitted any such thing. You're putting words in my mouth."

"For starters," she said, swiveling back to the vanity to pluck a facial cloth out of the jar, "I'm pretty sure something is going on with Margaret and that—" She paused, scrunching her nose. "What did you say his name is?"

"I assume you're talking about Josiah."

"Yes. Something is going on with Margaret and that Josiah guy, and somehow you're involved. You've also been hanging around Thomas a lot more lately."

"What's wrong with that? Thomas and I are friends."

"You've never been anything more than acquaintances," she said. "Have you even sent him a friend request on Facebook? Does he have an Instagram account?"

I laughed. "I highly doubt Thomas Abernathy is on social media."

Olivia's reflection rolled its eyes. "Everyone is on social media, Blake. Anyway, you're changing the subject."

"Which is? I'm confused."

Olivia swiveled to face me again. "That you're hiding something."

"You're imagining things, Libby."