"Merlin.......Magic?"

Elyan turned away from the window, frowning just a little. He cleared his throat. "Gwen?" he called, trying his best to sound normal.

His sister, halfway out of the house with a whole bundle of fabrics in her arms, backed up with a curious expression. "Yes, Elyan?"

"Has Arthur always been more open to magic than his father?"

Gwen frowned, too. "I suppose a little. Why do you ask?"

His voice remained oddly calm. "Well, because he doesn't seem all that concerned that Merlin just used magic to saddle his horse."

"Don't be ridiculous," Gwen said. "Merlin doesn't have magic."

"You mean... you didn't know before?" Gwen blinked, unfazed. "Look, I'm sorry, but he really did just-"

Gwen shifted the fabric to one arm and used her free hand to rub Elyan's elbow soothingly, shutting him up mid-sentence. "No, he didn't," she more ordered than stated. "Merlin doesn't have magic. And if he does, Arthur most certainly doesn't know about it."

"But he was looking right at-"

"Just trust me," said Gwen wearily, and turned away to continue whatever she had been doing.

Elyan gaped after her.
----------------------------------------------
Naturally, it was Gwaine's idea to go out for a few drinks. His version of "a few" differed slightly from everyone else's, though, and they were there a lot longer than Elyan intended to stay.

"Eurgh," Merlin groaned, holding his stomach and laying his cheek against their table. He mumbled something incoherent.

"What was that?" asked Elyan.

"I think it was, 'I hate you,'" Gwaine announced cheerfully, toasting another pint in the servant's direction.

Percival, Lancelot, and Leon were at the counter buying more drinks. That left Gwaine, Merlin, and Elyan to finish off what was left. Elyan drained his goblet, refusing to think about the regrets he'd have in the morning.

Merlin mumbled something else nonsensical into the table, but this time his eyes flashed a strange color and all the mead in his goblet vanished. He groaned and passed out.

Elyan stared between Merlin and Gwaine. "Did you see that?" he asked, knowing full well that Gwaine's eyes were planted right in Merlin's direction.

"See what?" Gwaine eyed him doubtfully.

Elyan was going to start protesting loudly, but the others returned with the extra ale, and he didn't want to say anything in front of them.

Gwaine glanced his way. "You look-"

"Frustrated?" Elyan growled.

"...I was going to say, 'Like you need another drink.' But it's the same thing, I suppose." Too busy glowering to object, Elyan watched Gwaine fill his goblet again.

"You really didn't see-?"

"Nope," said Gwaine.

Elyan dropped his head loudly onto the table.
----------------------------------------------
They were fighting... something. Elyan didn't ask what. It had teeth, and claws, and some kind of steadfast refusal to die.

"We won't need a large party," Arthur had said. "Just two should bring it down."

Two plus Merlin, who came along by default. Except apparently he was more necessary than given credit for, because a bright flash of light preceded the monster's sudden decision to keel over.

"Good job, Elyan," Arthur panted, clambering to his feet. "That was some expert swordsmanship. I will let my father know of your bravery."

"Wait," said Elyan, "what?"