Not This Way.

"Arthur again! Seriously? Haven't you learned anything from the last time we traveled through the valley of the fallen kings. You know the time I got struck and almost died?" And almost killed you, Merlin thought.
"Merlin you almost died. You're not dead," Arthur went up to Merlin on his horse and gave him a big smack on the back, Merlin winced. "See your fine, Now stop complaining." Arthur gave him a sly grin as he rode up to the front of the group.
After what seemed to be hours of mindless chatter, most of which was Gwaine telling drunken stories they came upon a little valley.
"We will set camp up here so that we will have the upper ground in case of an attack," Arthur declared.
"Why can't we just go back to Camelot and be in our nice warm, cozy, safe beds? Hmm? But no Arthur just has to catch something before we go back!" Merlin said in a rather annoyed voice.
"Shut up Merlin, for that you will be polishing my armor, " Arthur mumbled. "Twice" he said almost as an after thought. And as he rode away that same sly grin slid onto his face.

Merlin was not grinning.

-
Before it got dark Merlin set up camp, made dinner and managed to polish some of Arthur's armor. He didn't exactly polish twice like Arthur wanted, it was more of a sweep with a towel. He knew Arthur was sure to complain but frankly he just didn't care. To say the least, he was exhausted.

Percival offered to keep watch first so the rest could fall asleep.

That night it was hard for Merlin to sleep. Eventually (with reluctance) Merlin fell into a sleepless slumber.
~
"Do not move"
"Not moving"
"Don't even think of so much as breathing Merlin."
"Not breathing," Merlin chose to make an example by sucking in (rather loudly) a big gulp of air making him look somewhat of a fool.
"What are you doing Merlin? You look like a damn chipmunk. Don't be such a bumbling idiot."
"A bumbling idiot? That's a rather big word don't ya think?" Merlin said with a big grin on his face
"Shut up and pass me an arrow," Merlin did what he was told and handed Arthur an arrow. Arthur positioned it so it was aiming directly at the deer.
One...
two....
Three...
"Crack"
With a startle Arthur released the arrow only to miss his target (by a lot). Arthur looked at Merlin in disgust as Merlin watched the deer run away.
"I think you missed" Merlin said as he turned toward Arthur with a big smile on his face.
Arthur replied to Merlin with a smack upside his head and stormed off. A quite pleased with himself Merlin followed not far behind.
-
Percival and Gwaine sat contently by their horses. As soon as they saw Arthur they stood up straight "catch anything?" Gwaine said in a cheery voice.
"No because this idiot scared everything thing off!" When Arthur turned his back Gwaine gave Merlin a thumbs up. Merlin shrugged his shoulders as if he had no idea what they were talking.

"Does this mean we are heading back to Camelot sir?" asked Leon. All Arthur did was nod his head and get onto his horse.
-
The band of knights and the warlock rode silently and slowly. All wanted to go home but none had the energy to get there. After what seemed like hours but in reality merely minutes their thoughts were disturbed by Arthur who suggested that they stop and water their horses. (Aka Merlin watering the horses)

The road home had never felt this long before to Merlin. He had traveled this path many times before with and for Arthur. The truth was Merlin was worried about Gauise. He was the strongest and smartest man he knew. But he was old and even the strongest man couldn't defeat death. But for Arthur he sure as hell was going to try.
"Merlin stop dilly dollying and water the damn horses" and once again Merlin was back to wondering why he is protecting this ass.
The sun has began to set for slumber. The sky was golden with hues of pink. It was beautiful. It was pure. Merlin looked around at his surroundings. The knights and Arthur were gathered around a pot of soup that Merlin had made with the meat obviously absent. The trees and bushes behind them casted a dark green shadow over their faces. There was one bush in particular that Merlin could not take his eyes off of. It was thinner and low. It seemed to be moving slightly despite no wind. That's when he saw it. The eyes staring right back at him. He knew those eyes. He had looked into them often wondering how something so beautiful could only see hate. It moved. Morgana.
Everything happened so fast yet so slow. "ARTHUR.... BEHIND YOU!" Arthur and his knights jumped to their feet's and turned to the figure behind them. The knights had their swords drawn besides Arthur. His sword remained in its case but his hand rested upon it ready to be drawn. "My name is Arthur Pendragon and I am the ruler of the land you walk upon. Show yourself and we promise no harm to you." The voice the responded was darker than any shadow.
"No harm? You've got to be kidding. You have killed my followers, turned my friends against me and forced me to live in a hovel. You can't harm me. Not any more." She emerged from the shadows. She was paper and skinnier than Arthur could remember. She was just a skeleton of the person she used to be. Merlin could we her eyes gleam and her lips part. Nothing good was going to happen. A black fog emerged behind her. But it wasn't a normal fog. It moved with a purpose. Merlin ran to Arthur as the fog got closer. He couldn't understand why they didn't just move until he looked down at their feet. Vines wrapped around them like a snake with it prey and it was then that he knew what he needed to do. He read about it once in one of Gauises old books. A magical barrier. This was not how this was supposed to happen. He looked back at Arthur. "Everything I have done had been for you. See that. Forgive me" he could feel his magic course through his veins as he cast the barrier behind him. He turned back to Arthur and closed his eyes as the darkness of the fog engulfed him.
//////////
Oh hey there! Wow it's been a hot minute. This book has 93k views. WOW. I'm so thankful for all of you!! Also apparently we're #41 on "silly" I'm not quite sure what that means but thank u guys!! I really hope u enjoyed this. I haven't sat down and wrote in a looong time. Thoughts, comments and (friendly) critiques are welcomed! Have a nice day y'all