Chapter two

SETH

I shouldn't have done that. I know.

I shouldn't have left without a word, but you could say that Emily-Mae made me nervous.

I remember the first time I'd seen her a few weeks ago. I'd gotten shit-faced that night but I hadn't forgotten her face. I had no memories of that party but she had stuck with me, and I'd continued to look for her. Sometimes spotting her in the hallways and before I could think of striking a conversation with her, she'd disappear. We didn't even take any classes together so I didn't know her name that time.

And then one afternoon during lunch, I saw her sitting in the campus garden alone at lunch under a large tree, eating out of a brown bag, typing something in her Macbook, and I was sitting inside the building, looking at her through the glass walls. I was surrounded by the members of my ice-hockey team who were goofing and talking about some shit that I was barely interested to sit through.

My attention was captivated by her.

She looked hot in the over-sized sweater, her nose was pink from the cold breeze, and there was a glow to her face that I couldn't possibly describe.

She was beautiful.

I remember being subtle when I asked one of my teammates. "Who's that girl?"

One of the guys, Landon looked out front and said, 'That's Olivia. She's super hot, but man she's taken. Not sure if he called dibs but she was hooking up with him all summer."

I looked at where the idiot was looking at. He was talking about the brunette behind the girl I actually had my eyes on.

"Not her. I'm talking about the girl sitting near the tree."

He looked at me like I'd gone crazy, "Emily-Mae Vasquez."

I looked at the boys.

"She taken?"

I could punch a chair if he said yes. The girl was fucking gorgeous with a capital 'G' so I wouldn't be surprised if he said she had a boyfriend.

"Uh...No dude. As far as I know, I've never seen Sweet-Potato-Emily date anybody ."

"Why do you call her that?"

"You blind? You don't think she's a little...I don't know...say on the heavier side?" Easton sniggered.

The others looked scandalized. At that moment, I knew the boys I would be backing up and the boys I would likely ram my fists into, or run my truck over. I'd picked my side.

"She's Cale Vasquez's little sister. He was the previous captain of our team, he's now in college." Kenny said.

"I think she's pretty hot," I admitted.

Roland chuckled, and not in a nice way. "If you like girls who eat more slices of pizza than you do, then go for it, man."

Fuck you, asshole! I knew the type of girls Roland liked, and I'd tell you the idiot had a type. They were all the kind who wouldn't give a shit if he wasn't in the Hockey team. The best word to describe his type of girls was "Shallow."

"Aren't you body-shaming her?" I looked at the others, "And you guys are just going to shut up?"

No one said a word so I picked up my lunch and started to leave when Roland opened his mouth again.

"Hey, don't forget your promise." He chuckled.

I arched my brow in question because I was a total idiot and had forgotten about the stupid bet.