Chapter 4- Distractions

After I'd woken the living dead up, I was waiting for them to finish getting dressed, bouncing Annette in my lap carefully. She looked so happy and care-free, and she had this air about her that showed that she didn't have a single care in the world, she only cared about what toys there were to play with and who would be feeding her and when. I wished that I could be like her again, but alas, I'd missed my chance long ago. All that mattered now was revenge, avenging Eliza, after what he did. Her parents wanted it, but they weren't willing to go as far as I would. He needed to pay.

Finishing my thoughts, were two fully dressed children, gleaming with joy, positivity radiating off of them. "Well good morning!" I smile, while ruffling Anthony's hair with my spare hand.

"Hello Y/N! Isn't it a beautiful day? What's for breakfast?" Anthony smile reached ear to ear while Rebecca stood giggling swaying side to side.

"It is a beautiful day outside, and your mama's made bacon from what I can tell." At the very mention of the word bacon, their ears perked up and they ran down the stairs, thundering down like a herd of elephants. I paused, before hoisting myself up and placing Annette in both arms.

Suddenly a stench, rose from Annette, when I realised that she needed her diaper changing. Huffing, I paced back to Annette and Rebecca's room and laid her over my shoulder, guarding her with one hand. I reached for the blanket and threw it onto the cot, before reaching for the diapers, pulling a fresh one out for the now sleeping baby on my shoulder. I laid out the blanket and placed the delicate cargo onto it, while it snored away softly. I couldn't help but smile at her. I dragged the soiled product from her and flung it into the garbage can beside her closet.

I walked down the stairs, carrying the now clean baby Annette to her doting mother.

"Well, hello there my gorgeous princess!" my aunt coos to her child, tickling her nose softly with the tip of her finger. "Hope she wasn't too much trouble."

"Of course not. The other two required some encouragement to leave their beds though." The twins grinned widely, trying to impress their mother. She tuts at them, dropping the eggs and bacon onto their plates. I peer at the clock, noticing the time. I grabbed an apple and my backpack and ran to the door.

"I have to get going to school."

"See you later!" I hear Rebecca and Anthony shout while Annette gargles. I shove the key into my car and drive to the school I'd been at only the day before.

When I arrived, the entire parking lot was full, mostly with teenagers smoking like chimneys and a few girls with dresses to their thighs. I opened the car door and stepped out, pulling my backpack on.

Walking in, I heard many wolf-whistles or comments about me, 'the new girl'. Hopefully I would be able to blend into the background while I needed to stay in this tiny town, just long enough for me to visit my old friend.

After retrieving my timetable and class from the office, I walked back to the entrance of the school, because my home room happened to be nearby. When I walked in, silently as the class was still filling up, the whistling continued, though now most of the comments were about my body, which was so different from last time.

The teacher entered, silencing the class, carrying a hard leather briefcase.

"Hello Students, I hope you'll welcome a new student today, her name is Y/N." He gestures for me to stand up, "Tell us about yourself."

"Hi, I'm Y/N, I'm from Jackson Tennessee." I wave, trying to fan away the blush, trying to play the innocent new girl. "I used to ride horses." Well, that was a lie.

"Bet that's not the only thing you used to ride."

"No. It's not." I let the Jock smirk for a while before completing my sentence, "I've also ridden a bicycle." I nod slightly, winking at him, showing sarcasm and exposing the moron's stupidity. That comment just made the class laugh, while the teacher tried to settle them down.

A few hours pass by peacefully, before I bumped into the red-haired girl from yesterday, Lenora.

"Lenora, Hey!" I pat her shoulder, but she turns around with her books clutched to her chest.

"Hi Y/N. How are you?"

"I'm doing good, you?"

"Fine." I noticed that Lenora's eyes looked red, tired and puffy.

"What's wrong?" I rub her arm comfortingly.

"Just Dinwoodie."

"What has he done now?"

"He stole my book."

"You want me to get it back?"

"You don't have to."

"Watch this." I walk past the boy from yesterday, making sure to get his attention. He placed Lenora's book into his locker.

"Hey beautiful." He whistles at me, clearly this idiot didn't remember me. "Nice legs."

"You think?" I smile innocently. I walk closer, swaying my hips.

"Of course. Not the only thing I like." I looked over to Lenora who was in awe. The boy was stood behind his locker door so when I moved closer, I hid my hand which reached for the book, mainly because he was distracted by my other one pointing for him to shake.

"I'm Y/N."

"Gene, these here are Orville and Tommy." I wave to the other two. The bell rings and I slip the book behind my back.

"I better get to class. See you around Gene." I smile again, walking backwards towards Lenora. What an idiot.

"Here you go." I hand the book back to its owner, which made her smile.

"He didn't even realise."

"Its surprising what they won't notice while they're distracted by something else." Lenora chuckles as we walked away. "What class you got now?"

"Biology." She replies

"Can I come with you?" I ask nicely.

"Sure. You helped me out so I'll return the favour."