Chapter 21 - The devil herself

It was Sunday once more. Another hour in the sweltering hellhole, ruled by the corrupt Teagardin, King of all scum. He was prattling on again about something and nothing and everyone was in awe of him. Even Lenora was entranced by every action he made.

Every single second my eyes rested on him, I hoped to burn what he'd done onto him, tell him, show everyone what he was truly like; an insecure, arrogant tool who preyed on teenage girls- and I knew he was at it again. This time, she was barely my age, her father close to his age. He really had no shame.

Luckily, I made it through the sermon, staving off the waves of boredom and fatigue; a gift, courtesy of walking Arvin home. I lingered behind in the pews as the congregation flooded outside to return home or speak with the preacher. I waited until the room was practically empty before creeping to the lectern and grabbing the Bible there, slamming it on the desk and scribbling all over a certain page. I glimpsed up and saw Teagardin scan the room so I quickly finished and ran towards one of the older ladies there, seemingly helping her out.
"There you go Mildred. Have a great day!"
"Thank you sunny."
I hung back in the hopes of seeing the preachers reaction- starting meaningless conversations I don't remember all the while staring him down and observing

Teagardin paced around his chapel, his dominion. All in order, no more chaos. Or so he thought. A little ball of rage had seemed determined to creep under his skin and prickle at him for the time being. This time, they took out their anger on his Bible, the word "Jezebel" scrawled angrily across the page, simultaneously linked with the character. Teagardin knew it was about him, but that meant that someone in Coal creek knew who he was. Someone knew what he'd done. Someone could tear his entire kingdom from him. And that, that made him scared. He threw the book across the room with fury, uncontrollable rage spiking for once. He needed to do something, he needed to find them first.

A lone voice creeped out above the hubbub outside. A young girl, maybe seventeen. She looked at him with an emotion he couldn't quite pinpoint, "Everythin' alright Preacher? You look like you've seen the devil."
"Just had the beginnings of a great sermon come to me." Bullshit. Preston tried to hide his flustered composition, sweat-slick with fear.
"Well, save it for next week preacher; you've said enough today." The girl smirked, or maybe it was a smile that didn't quite make it to her eyes; either way, it was unsettling.
"Hurry alon' now, go enjoy the nice weather."
She nodded and turned, walking steadily into the distance until she was simply a blur in Preston's mind. He tried to force the thought from his mind. She was familiar, her face set in a memory from a time before. He would remember. He would remember.

(A/N: apologies for the short chapter, I'm still lacking with some inspiration but hopefully it will hit me soon. Another apologies for any bad grammar as this was typed on my phone rather than a laptop like usual. Enjoy!)