Chapter 10 - Lost in interpretation

My Aunt escorted me away from the preacher so another family could meet the creature. My clenched fist trembled with fury, but the smile on my face hid what I really felt. I honestly thought I would be physically sick if he had tried to shake my hand, luckily the pie in my hands had stopped the preacher form being able to do so.

Well, he didn't remember me. Good job, I planned to make myself unforgettable in his eyes. I was going to be the reason he had to constantly look over his shoulder for the rest of his sniveling existence, I was going to be his comeuppance.

A short while after, Lenora, her grandma and Arvin approached the preacher. I saw the man dip his fingers into the residue from the food and lick it. And as if by magic, it inspired him to let out a few words, "Blessed are those who hunger, and thirst for righteousness." Everyone around him stopped moving and stared in awe of the man, like he was Moses coming from the mount, rather than a lying, cheating scumbag who had really just repeated Matthew's sixth verse in chapter five. Clearly, the people around him either didn't know that he hadn't created a new saying, or chose to ignore it and see it as a reminder to follow his words. It took a lot not to out him then and there, but I thought that the opportunity would arise eventually.

As the preacher perused the plates of food along the table, picking up something from each dish, until he reached Arvin's grandmothers Chicken livers.

"Friends, there is no doubt we are all humble people, gathered here. Y'all been awful nice to me and I thank you from the bottom of my heart, but friends, the poor souls who brung in those chicken livers on that beat up plate, well let's just say that I'm inspired to preach on it a minute. Sure, some of us are better off than others, and I see plenty of white meat and red meat laid out on this table, and I suspect that the folks that carried those platters in eat mighty good sometimes. But poor people got to bring what they can afford. So, them organs is a sign to me, telling me that I should, as the new preacher of this church, sacrifice myself so that y'all can have a share of the good meat tonight. And that's what I'm going to do my friends. I'm going to eat these organs. I model myself on the good lord Jesus, whenever he gives me the chance and today, he has blessed me with another opportunity to follow in his footsteps." I could see Mrs Russell tearing up slightly. Preston had no right to talk about her food like that, especially so publicly.

His little speech stirred something in me, 'modelling himself on Jesus', last time I checked, Jesus didn't trick a 15-year-old girl into sleeping with him, impregnated her and refused to own up to the child's parentage, then abandoned her. Or berated people openly about what they brought out of the kindness of their hearts. Perhaps the Bible had changed, the story actually went that a woman gave a few coins, all she had, which meant more than rich men who donated hundreds that they could spare. The bible taught that the woman had given more because she gave everything, she had rather than what she could spare. But this was just another example of Preston's flawed ideology, one where he maintained a prophet like power, like he was a messenger angel from God.

As soon as the Preacher had managed to shut up for five minutes, I walked out of the chapel to get some air. I leaned against the outside wall of the chapel and tilted my head back, letting a solitary sigh escape my lips. I stood up slightly straighter when I heard footsteps, nearing me which each motion. I recognized the bobbing brunette mop immediately, unusually not followed by the usual cloud of smoke.

I smiled at him, as nicely as I could in the moment, and returned to controlling my breathing. He stood next to me, leaning too. His hand retrieved his pack of cigarettes, but stopped before opening it.

My eyes closed for a brief moment, "If that was because I'm here, don't let me stop you."

I saw him smirk and casually light one of the sticks, the way it stuck between his lips when the lighter neared the end of it, burning a glowing orange and yellow.