Chapter 6 - Preach the good news!

Y/N's POV

The rest of the school week was extremely uneventful, until one day I heard some news from Lenora. Some news that made my day.

We had both had maths together so we adopted a strategy to get her out of the school so she could avoid the goons. It mainly consisted of Lenora bolting out the hallway, and me distracting the boys. That day though, the boys were late for some reason since me and Lenora had the luxury of walking and chatting as we exited the classroom.

"So, what are you up to this weekend?" Lenora looked up, smiling.

"Probably studying, maybe helping my Aunt with the horses."

"Aren't you coming to the chapel on Sunday? To meet the new preacher?" Lenora asked me sweetly.

"New preacher?" I questioned Lenora. My eyes lit up at the mention of a new preacher.

"Yeah, Reverend Sykes is going away for a while since he ain't well, so his nephew is coming up from Tennessee."

"Tennessee?" I smirked, my revenge was ever closer, "I can't wait to meet him."

"Me neither." Lenora smiled sweetly.

I turned around after hearing some whistles. It was the morons. "Lenora, run!" We both sprinted to the doors. I saw Arvin, Lenora had told me he was her brother, waiting in his car, smoking a cigarette, his eye purple from the bruise. As we reached the doors, I shoved it open and Lenora ran to the car, while I waited by the school, catching my breath. The usual crones from the boys continued even after Lenora entered the car and sped off. I grinned widely and went to my car.

{Time skip}

The fact that Preston could be here; it made me think of everything he had done, everything he needed to pay for. He hurt and took advantage of my sister, no matter how blind she was to not see it, he is the reason she died, the reason that Marian would grow up without a parent. He needed to be punished for what he had done.

I thought about how I would kill him, there was my fathers pistol he got in the war. It didn't matter how Preston paid for his sins, but that he actually did. Eliza needed to be avenged. Thinking of it reminded me of my adoptive parents.

I held Marian in my arms while Eliza's father tried to wake her up from a sleep she wouldn't wake up from. Her mother was just on her knees praying and bargaining with God to get her little girl back.

"Eliza, please wake up! You've had your fun, come back to me." I heard my adopted father shout, almost pleading with his daughter, while he shook her hand, waiting for her to move.

"Sir, you need to let us take her to the funeral parlour." I saw a man in a suit and two others trying to enter the room. I decided to hand Marian to her grandmother who was sat on a chair on the opposite side of the room.

"No, you take you hands off my daughter right now!" he shouted loudly.

"Dad, please." I looked at him, the back at the men trying to take her.

"No. You aren't taking my little girl." He tried to stop the men lifting the blanket up from Eliza's body.

"STOP! ALL OF YOU STOP! YOU'RE HURTING HER!" I shouted loudly before throwing myself by the bed where Eliza was laying. I ran my hands over her forehead, petting her. "Goodbye Lizzy. I will take care of her."

I threw my arms around my father figure while he collapsed to his knees. The men took her but none of us could do anything.

"I'm going to kill that vile creature." I hissed, promising myself.