CH Headcanon: Flags

Flags are the most important feature of a countryhuman, whether it be a country or an entity.  When a country/entity is born, they always have the flag of one of their parents (or a mixture of both) or a flag that their parents designed for them.  A country's birth flag will remain with them for their entire childhood until they come of age and become an official country or an entity, then they can change their flag if they wish. 

The process of changing flags is a rather long one. When a country/entity changes their flag, the old flag will gradually fade away, slowly becoming fainter until their face is one solid color, the color varies for individuals and there is usually no connection between countries/entities that gain the same color.  Once the old flag is completely gone, the new one will slowly appear in its place until it is clearly visible, then all that is left is the rest of the country's skin.  The rest of the country's body is typically the last part of them to change but doesn't take as long as the flag.  The body of the country will reflect the colors of the part of their flag that connects to their neck, if two colors end at the neck, then the body will usually be split in half by the colors.  There is a chance that marking relating to the flag will appear on parts of the body, like stripes (America, UK), stars (China, Panama), or the arms and legs of the country are different colors than the torso (Mexico, Ireland). The process of flag changing can take from three to six months, including the time that the rest of the body changes.

Sometimes a country/entity's flag will change if they have been severely injured on the face, typically the eyes.  For example, North Korea and Chile had their eyes injured and now they wear eye patches, just like Mandara.  And also like Mandara, the countries had the symbol on their patches outlining their eyes before they were injured, but after the injury, those symbols will slowly fade away until it was like they were never there in the first place.  No one knows why this change happens, but those who have gone through it will usually wear eye patches or bandanas like Syria.

A country's flag is also determined by if they actually become a country.  When a countryhuman comes of age, and more than one child is inheriting/taking over a territory, then one of them will become an entity.  There are two types of entities a country can become when inheriting a territory: Militant or Special.  We will discuss entities some other time, for now, let's stick to their flags.  More often than not, militant and special entities have their own flag separate from their country's flag, but they go through the same flag changing process as countries, but it takes less time.  For entities that don't have a separate flag, they will either have the same flag as their country or be one solid color, the solid color being random.

Full-time entities are a bit different, they aren't really "born" per se, they kind of just appear.  When they appear, their faces are blank and they must earn their entity mark, which would be their flag if they were normal countries.