Chapter eight

Everything moves in slow motion. The bang, the glass shattering, Clay diving on top of me, and the sudden, blinding pain of yet another bullet wound. Bloodcurdling screams erupt from the nurses as they dive towards the elevator.

Clay lifts my limp body, and hides me in the bathroom of my hospital room. I see feel tears fall from his soft eyes, and attempt to catch them in my frail fingers.

The cold ground makes contact with my skin, sending surges of pain throughout my body. Clay holds my leg tightly with his hand, holding pressure to the bullet. More shots fire and Clay gets up to turn off the lights, pulling out his phone's flashlight. Footsteps get closer and then farther away again, and I see Clay trying to hold back his tears and screams of fear. I can tell he's about to let out a sob, so reach to his face and kiss him lightly, comforting the shaking male.

"I-I have to go find a doctor, I don't know what I'm doing." Clay tries to sound confident while admitting he doesn't know how to save me, but his hurt and scared expression betrays him. "are you gonna be okay here for a bit?" he asks, concern lacing the words like the small white ribbons embracing a box of diamond jewlery.

"Yeah, I'll be alright" I lie, just not wanting him to see me die. Apparently, it works, as the comforting eyes lock and unlock with mine in a scared understanding. Then footsteps, farther and farther away. I feel my blood pool beneath me, a sea of red pain.

When Clay returns, it is too late, and without a doctor. Saltwater tears flow in steady streams down perfect skin. All I see before the world is dark is hands reaching towards me, lovingly, and sadly.

I was wrong. The void I once felt, the trance I once experienced for an unloving three days, that isn't death. Death is so much worse, you open your eyes and all you see is a world of fire. You run towards the distant city, you reach your hands into the light, you fight everything in you to keep going, to just go a little farther, but suddenly you can't, and suddenly, you're on a beach, palm trees swaying in the cool breeze. Waves crashing against a solemn shore, and your father emerging from the depths. You suddenly know why you are here, it's the final dream, the final stage, before everything is over and you're free. You feel the energy to run, you could escape if you wanted to, but you don't.  You take a breath, and utter words nobody will ever hear, you choose them carefully, they're the last you'll ever say. And, normally, that's it. The end of the line. You die, and that's just how it is.

But, in my case, I didn't die. Instead, a farmilliar male leaps in front of my father's blade, sheilding me. A shocked expression finds it's way to my face as Clay turns to me and says one word "Run". And I do. Never daring to look back, I jump with ease through the terrain, feeling adrenaline on the wind, loving the smell of crashing waves and funnel cake. Until I see a building, and extinctively enter. There I am, in a dark hospital bathroom, an active shooter slaughtering any doctor they see. And Clay, desperately slamming his hands against my chest, and sobbing onto my limp body. The sight is enough to make me fall to my knees.

I dont want this. I though I did, but I don't want death. I want to live, I want to comfort Clay, and make him stop crying. I hate to see his tears. So, I reach out my own feeble hands, placing them gently on top of his. My lover's head jerks up, and looks at me, shocked. Can he see me? Can he feel me? Apparently, yes. Shock infiltrates his eyes as he looks from my limp body to me, a spirit, now hitting against my own chest, even in the afterlife, fighting for survival. The yellow eyed man shakes the initial fear, and begins CPR once agin on my own lifeless body. Then footsteps. A man enters the room, a doctor. I look to Clay and see him gasp in relief.

The doctor can't see me. I figure it out pretty quickly. One look at my condition, and the doctor rushes into action, scooping me up and taking the corpse to the closest opperating room for surgery. But, just when all seems to be getting better, another gunshot rings out. The doctor yelps in pain and nearly drops me, handing my body over to Clay. His hands are bleeding. He cant preform surgery anymore. I blank out, unable to hear suddenly. The next thing I see is Clay. Wearing gloves and a scrub cap, being guided along my surgery by the doctor. I pray to whatever god may exist that I dont die on the table, because if I do, I know Clay will never forgive himself.

Please, God, let me wake up from this.

Hey! Sorry for the late update and also short chapter. There's been a lot going on right now, but I'm doing my best. Probably update tomorrow or maybe the next day :)