Chapter thirteen

George POV~~

I wake up to a certain farmilliar pounding in my head. It feels similar to a hangover, yet somehow worse. I groan and attempt to stand, only to find my hands cuffed to the bed. I'm scared. Today feels like it's something strange, like maybe it means something a little bit more. Is it a birthday? Anniversary? No, I would definitely remember, right?

Maybe it's the fact that today I get to finally leave this room. Yeah, that's got to be it. Doctors once again swarm the room, bringing with them a wheelchair. And a man, who is slowly becoming more and more farmilliar. He's here everyday, yes, but it's something more than that. It's the way he reacted when I woke up, the pain behind his eyes when I still can't place the memories. It;s the pacing when he thinks I'm asleep, and the whispered confessions of love whilst his face buries into sorrowful hands. I wish I could remember his name, even just that.

Floods of rules seep into the longing coversation, a chorus of restrictions. No going home, no eating anything from outside, no cars, no standing. I lose count of how many there are, but I can tell the man in the hoodie pays close attention to each and every one. He really cares about me, doesn't he? A pang of guilt hits my chest, he cares so deeply about me, and yet I can't be bothered to remember his name.

I'm lifted from my small hospital confinement and onto the wheelchair, suddenly dizzy and lightheaded. Yet for once, not tired. Maybe it's the excitement and adrenaline coursing through my anxious veins, reviving my senses, prolonging exhaustion. Hallway after hallway, elevator after elevator, nurse after nurse saying hello in their almost too cheery voices.

Finally, the doors to the hospital are in sight, within step, within touch. Outside a brick of warmth spreads like wildfire, a more than welcome change. Clay guides the wheelchair down a cement path. I watch as each and every tree passes behind us, and I feel free. For once in I dont know how many months, I am truly happy. I lean my head back to allow a bright sun to cascade over me, wanting nothing more than to touch it.

Reaching my hands to fiddle with the rays, I hum a quiet sigh of contentment. I want to stand, I want to run, to feel the breeze in my hair and for fall leaves rustle up into the sky as I jump into them. I grip the armrests of the chair desperately pushing myself up. But standing was against the rules, so the man puts his hand on my shoulders and gently lowers me back down.

"Clayyyyy" I sigh out of frustration. "I want to stand up"
"Wh-what?" a shocked voice rings from behind me. "wh-wh-what did you just say?''
"I want to stand up". choosing indignance, I see.
"No-no, George the- the other thing. My name, George, you said my name. You remembered my name."

He begins sobbing through releived gasps of air.

"I guess I did, didnt I?"

"Yes, you did" a short array of footsteps and I'm pulled into a long embrace.

I allow small giggles to escape my mouth, before it becomes full on laughter. I feel Clay smile into my shirt, before his tears turn to quiet wheezes. We separate for a second, gazing into the other's eyes. I wonder if he still can't read me. Wait, what am I talking about? I pull him into soft kiss, short, but all I need. Memories crash around me, sprinkling the ground with glittering rememberance. Everything I had once forgot, returned unharmed and truthful. I kiss my lover a small bit deeper, before separating. I remember everything. The danger levels, my friends, Clay. All of it. All those 'strangers' who had come to see me, only to find they werent remembered, were my best friends. I look up to Clay's eyes, seeing pure love become adoration, then pure shock. I gaze past and my breath catches in my throat.

"six." the number comes out in a choked whisper.
"yellow" his voice is just as shocked.
"wait what did you say" I ask, still trying to process.
"what did you say?" stop answering questions with questions Clay, it confuses the readers
"Your dannger level, it's six"
"Your eyes are yellow, you're happy"

--time skip brought to you by french bulldogs--

We return to my room hand in hand, large smiles plastered to our faces. As we round the corner, I see everybody gathered by the door. All of the friends once forgotten, my neighbors, my mom. They run to me when they see me, enveloping both me and Clay into tearful hugs.

We spend hours upon hours talking and remembering stories before visiting hours are up. I finally succumb to sleep, closing my exhausted eyes.

______________________________________________________/
I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, I put some fluff as promised. I think next chapter may be the last but after that there will be a qna for any of you confused about the plot.

Stay safe and drink water

:)