~~ Family Gatherings ~~

~~ Jenna ~~

~~ Jenna ~~

As the electric gates opened, I slowly made my way up the long driveway.  The giant Mexican fan palm parted, giving way to a burst of sunlight.  If it weren't for my sunglasses and tinted windows, the saturation would have been blinding.  The driveway was long and draped either side by Orange trees and Foxtail agave. A prelude to the crescendo of the Los Angeles blue sky highlighting the grandeur of the huge imposing mansion, now in front of me—I had to give it Marco Valentino, it was a beautiful house.

The muscles in my neck and back tightened as I parked alongside Tony's sister's car.  There were also six other cars of different makes and models.  Willing my jaw to unclench, I reminded myself that we didn't have to stay long.  From nowhere Gabe popped into my thoughts and I hoped he might be here, so I could thank him and apologize for how I must have looked yesterday.  Looking along the line of cars, I didn't even know what car he drove.

Lost in my own thoughts, Ava's giggles from the rear seat reminded me to keep a smile fixed firmly on my face whilst here. Switching the car off and swinging open my door, I stepped from the vehicle and rubbed my moist palms against my skirt. 

Keep it together, breathe and smile.

Shutting my door, I reached for the rear passenger door and bent down to unclip Ava from her car seat.  "C'mon Angel.  Nonna will be excited to see you.

Standing her on her feet, she reached for my hand.  "Will Nonna like the birthday card I made."

"Of course, Angel, she'll love it.  It's in the boot with Nonna's present."  Dropping her small hand, I walked to the back and opened the boot.

Ava followed me.  "Can I hold it, Mommy?"

"Sure, but tell me if you think it's too heavy, okay?"

I handed her the parcel.  It was a fancy English tea-pot. Tony's mother, Viviana, had a weird obsession with them. They were dotted all over the downstairs of their home.  I couldn't even fathom why.  But I liked, no loved Viviana.  She was a beautiful warm loving woman who had always been welcoming towards me.  Unlike her asshole of a husband, Marco Valentino.

Placing it in her small hands, she shook her head, her curls bouncing around her face. "Not heavy, Mommy."

"Good, well make sure you don't drop it, okay?"  She nodded her head, smiling up at me.

Walking towards the house, we walked up the steps.  I was relieved that Tony was still in the hospital, and he could stay there for all I cared.  Approaching the front entrance, the words I had been dreading flooded my ears.

"Mommy, can we see Daddy today?"

Shit.  Through the swirl of sickening fears and before I could answer, the front door was flung open and out rushed Tony's mother.  "Little nipotina my tesoro... come to ninno."  Her Italian accent remained remarkably heavy for having spent most of her adult life here in the US.