Chapter 2

Anne Shirley-Cuthbert had never been so restless and excited over the course of a weekend since she had arrived at Green Gables and Marilla was not amused in the slightest.

"Anne! Do hurry up and come down for breakfast before it gets cold!" The older woman called from downstairs as Anne fussed over her hair in the mirror.

"Stupid, horrid red hair." She muttered as she hastily tied the bow at the end of her braid and ran down the stairs into the dining room. Oh, how she wished she had beautiful ebony hair like her dear Diana's or golden locks that resembled Ruby's.

"Hurry up and eat your toast before you're late for school." Marilla scolded as she took the empty plates to the kitchen to be washed.

"I wouldn't dream of being late to school on a day like today, Marilla." Anne laughed, shoveling the eggs into her mouth and scarfing down her toast. "We're getting a new student and I'm ever so excited. Last time, I was the new student so I know all about trying to fit into a strange, environment and I plan to make it as wonderful as possible." She rambled on as Marilla came back into the dining room.

"Oh, for heaven's sake child, where are your manners? You've made a mess of yourself!" She scolded, taking the now empty dishes back to the sink to be cleaned.

"Sorry, Marilla, but I must hurry to meet Diana!" Anne called out as she grabbed her school materials and coat. "Goodbye!"

Anne ran down the path of Green Gables and waved to Matthew in greeting as he stepped out of the barn. She continued to run into the forest and stopped at the fork in the path where she would meet Diana only to see she hadn't arrived yet. Anne fiddled with the edge of her skirt when she heard the rustling of leaves and she turned around ready to greet her best friend only to be met with the hazel gaze of none other than Gilbert Blythe.

She froze as he waved amiably. "Good morning, Anne."

She quickly broke eye contact and pretended to be entranced by the trees as she felt her heart pound in her chest. What's going on with me? It's just Gilbert. She reminded herself. "Morning." she mumbled back.

"What are you doing out here? Shouldn't you be headed to the schoolhouse?" he asked, tilting his head to the side, allowing his curls to fall out of his line of view. Anne didn't answer and instead stared at his stupidly handsome face. Cut it out! He asked you a question. The voice in her head whispered.

"I'm waiting for Diana. We always walk to school together." She replied shortly, watching him nod as he adjusted his schoolbag.

"Well, seeing as you're waiting, I wanted to tell-" Gilbert started but Anne saw a figure in blue appear behind him and quickly cut him off.

"Sorry, Gilbert but it appears Diana has arrived. I'll see you at school!" She cut in and rushed off to meet Diana, leaving Gilbert to mumble the rest of his statement to himself and start the walk to school.

Diana waved and met Anne in a hug. "Hello, Anne! Was that Gilbert I just saw you talking to?" She asked, a knowing tone to her question.

"Yes, he nearly scared me to death as well. Who sneaks up behind another person in the middle of a forest?" Anne grumbled, ignoring the way her stomach flipped at the thought of Gilbert talking to her alone. Diana raised an eyebrow as she grabbed Anne's hand and they started the journey to school.

"Perhaps it's because he likes you, Anne. You can't ignore him or your feelings forever." She reminded lightly. Anne gasped and looked at Diana in anguish.

"How could you say that? I do NOT have feelings for Gilbert Blythe, nor does he." She replied indignantly, turning her nose up. Diana giggled at her bosom friend's reaction. "Besides, we all know Ruby would absolutely break down if anyone ever mentioned the mere idea of him liking anyone besides herself."

Green Eyed BeautyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara