Chapter 8

Anne was currently bouncing on her heels, anxious for Marilla's answer to her question as the older woman kneaded the dough at hand with an exasperated expression.

"I don't know, Anne. Jade may be in trouble with her parents for her actions Friday and you all have school tomorrow." Marilla sighed,  wiping her hands on her apron, leaving flour stains over the brown material.

The girl clasped her hands together. "Oh, please Marilla! It's been 2 days and I just want to take some bread and plum puffs so I can properly introduce myself!" She begged. Anne hadn't heard from Jade since the altercation with Billy and she couldn't help but wonder if she was more trouble than she thought.

Marilla pinched the bridge of her nose, knowing the red-head would not stop pestering her until she gave her an answer she was satisfied with. "Alright, you may take some in the basket from the pantry. Do not make a mess or fool of yourself, Anne." She ordered with a tone of warning. The younger girl beamed and hugged Marilla.

"Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!" She squealed, already dashing off to collect the baked goods and place them in the basket. Carefully wrapping them in a tea towel, Anne fixed her dress and grabbed her sweater. "I'll be back soon!"

"Be careful!" Marilla called after her just as Anne shut the door and began her walk to the Peyton's residence. The autumn air was slightly chilly and slightly blew up her skirt as she continued down the dirt path. Anne wondered if Jade liked plum puffs.

The event of Friday could not leave the redhead's mind as much as she tried to push it aside. Over the course of the week, the brunette had shown that she was outspoken and didn't mind ignoring the societal norm of young girls staying quiet, something Anne found extremely refreshing in a town like Avonlea. However, she never would have expected her to go as far as to punch a person, Billy Andrews, no less. Anne giggled as she remembered the look on the bully's face as soon as he hit the ground; she was never once for physical confrontation but she would be lying if she said it wasn't satisfying seeing Billy finally get a taste of his own medicine.

As soon as she thought of medicine, Gilbert Blythe popped into her mind, effectively wiping the smile off her face. Diana's words from earlier in the week had not gone forgotten, lingering in the back of her mind. If you have feelings for Gilbert, you must tell him or he'll get tired of beating around the bush and look for some other girl's attention. She had said. Anne bit the inside of her cheek, deep in thought. She had always had a fascination with Gilbert whether it was academically or personally but could never bring herself to get too close to him for fear of losing Ruby's trust and friendship. She insisted that her friendship with the blonde was too important to risk for the sake of a boy who was nothing more than friendly competition. Then why do I feel uneasy at the thought of him diverting his attention onto another girl? She thought. Anne could imagine Ruby walking side by side with the curly-headed boy, laughing easily and possibly sharing stolen kisses. It's probably because I've never seen him be affectionate with a girl before, that's why. She decided, nodding along to her own reasoning.

Anne saw a beautiful Victorian-style house come into view and smiled widely. What a fitting home for her alluring classmate. She excitedly made her along the pathway until she reached the door. Checking over her appearance once more, she decided she looked presentable enough and knocked twice upon the mahogany door.

The click of heeled boots and a woman's voice could be heard on the other side, nearing the door until it opened and Anne was met with the curious look of an older woman who was nearly the spitting image of Jade.

"Why, hello there. To whom do I owe the pleasure of this visit?" She greeted, a small smile on her face. Anne reciprocated it.

"Hello, Mrs. Peyton. My name is Anne Shirley-Cuthbert." She introduced, smile not leaving her face. "I'm one of Jade's classmates, I've come with some wonderful goods of Marilla's as a house-warming gift to welcome you and your family to Avonlea." She said, lifting up the basket for the woman to see.