Chapter 4

"Did I just see you walking with the new girl?" Charlie grinned, pulling Gilbert towards the school's doors while Moody followed eagerly, watching as Gilbert rolled his eyes at their reaction.

"She has a name." Gilbert reminded his friend. " And yes, we ran into each other in the woods and I asked to accompany her for the rest of the walk." He answered. Quite literally. The voice in his head mused, but he decided to leave that part out.

Moody and Charlie shared a look while Gilbert hung up his coat and hat. "Does this mean that you're interested in her? I think it's unfair that you always go for the smart, pretty girls." Charlie huffed, crossing his arms.

"What? No! It was just a walk, we barely spoke!" Gilbert defended, dropping his voice. "Besides, you both know I like Anne."

Moody shrugged. "You said it yourself, Gilbert. You haven't made any obvious moves on Anne and I honestly don't know why you don't tell her how you feel." Charlie nodded and Gilbert considered Moody's words.

The door opened once again and a blast of cold air hit the boys as Billy came in laughing loudly with his friends. Gilbert looked into the classroom where Jade was sitting at her desk, talking to Anne with a smile on her face, oblivious to who entered the schoolhouse.

"Gilbert?" Charlie waved a hand in front of his face, snapping the curly-haired boy out of his thoughts. "Are you going to sit down or should we carry you?"

They all moved towards their seats, Moody's words mulling in Gilbert's mind. He had a point. Gilbert didn't have the rest of his life to drop subtle hints, he would have to make a move at some point. He glanced over in Anne's direction, the same content smile making its way onto his lips as he watched her excitedly discuss something with Diana, Jade, and Ruby, extravagant hand movements and all. He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. I have to man up and tell her how I feel. I can't keep going back and forth with my emotions.  He thought decisively.

Ms. Stacey's 'Good morning, class!' forced Gilbert to pay attention to the lesson being taught, as much as he just wanted to sit and stare at Anne all day, empty-minded.

                                                                                  ******************

Soon enough, it was lunchtime and Gilbert was forced to listen to Charlie ramble about Diana once again and he couldn't help but wonder if he had angered the Lord and this was his punishment for whatever sin he committed.

"I think she'd look lovely in sea green, don't you think, Gilbert?"

He blinked and stared at his friend in a look that clearly said 'Do I look like I know the answer to that question?' Charlie rubbed the back of his neck and shrugged, apparently having no shame in his infatuation with the dark-haired girl.

"Josie watch out!" Someone screamed, followed by the sound of glass shattering and a series of shrieks. Gilbert and Charlie quickly shared a look and ran in the direction of the commotion, the other students also following the sound of the girls' yelling.

Gilbert ran to the stream and saw Josie, Jane, and Ruby holding onto each other for dear life while Billy and his friends stood above them, laughing their heads off. Diana, Anne, Tilly, Jade all stood to the side, shock written into their faces as they watched the boys continue to laugh and high five each other.

"What happened here?" Gilbert snapped at no one in particular, looking between the girls' outraged faces and their bullies.

"These idiots decided to play baseball with our milk glasses!" Anne leered, giving Billy a dirty look. "The glass shattered over Josie's head."