Chapter 21

"Do you think she's dead?"

"Charlie!" The voice scolded.

Jade groaned, not needing to turn over to know her brother and mother were standing in the doorway to her room. Why is he even here?

"School starts in an hour." Her mother stated, making her way over to the window to draw the curtains. As usual, she was completely dressed and made up for the day in a deep red dress and her hair tightly pulled back.

"I'm not going." Jade grumbled, pulling her blanket over her head. She heard her mother's footsteps stop.

"Come again?"

She sighed, pulling down the blanket to see her mother's disapproving face and Charlie sitting at her vanity. "I want to have the day to myself. I'm not feeling well." She lied.

You just want to avoid seeing Gilbert and Anne together for the hundredth time this week. The voice in her head corrected smugly.

Her mother's eyes narrowed. "You've been going to school and performing fine all week."

She shrugged. "I have a headache."

The two women didn't break disapproving stares and Jade could see Charlie glancing between the two of them in amusement.

"I suddenly remember why I chose to work in Charlottetown." He hummed happily, messing with the comb on Jade's vanity.

"I suddenly remember why I don't miss your company." Jade snorted, rolling over in her covers.

"Charlie, please talk some sense into your sister." She hissed, giving him a pointed look. The brunette shrugged his shoulders and adjusted the flannel he had on.

"If she's doing better than all her classmates, I don't see the harm in taking a day off." He admitted, throwing a subtle wink in Jade's direction. She bit back a smile.

The older woman's eyes widened. Before she had the chance to scold him, he stood and plopped himself next to Jade, throwing his arms around her shoulders.

"Matter of fact, I'll take her to work with me!" He grinned. "Nothing says relaxing like a day with your older brother."

Jade's head snapped in his direction. I'm going to kill him.

There was a moment of silence as her mother seemed to consider it. "Alright."

She turned to Jade. "Since you'll be in town, pick up my dress from the seamstress. And be sure to give her my regards on the dress she altered for your dance."

Her heart clenched and her smile faltered. "Right. Of course."

"Be sure to bring her back in a timely manner. I want her to catch up on any schoolwork that's given to her later on today." She ordered Charlie.

He nodded enthusiastically, hair bouncing up and down. "Yes ma'am."

With that, her mother exited her room with boots clicking against the hardwood, muttering to herself about Lord knows what. Jade scoffed and pushed Charlie's arms off of her.

"Really?" She rolled her eyes. "Now she's got me running errands and watching you sell books when I just wanted to lay in bed."

He rose an eyebrow. "You lay in bed? Who are you and what have you done with my baby sister?"

"I'm nearly 19." She shot back as she finally got out of bed. She caught a glimpse of her reflection in the mirror and cringed. Charlie made himself comfortable on her bed as Jade sifted through her closet for a dress.