Laurens' Letters

I wrote this at 3 AM so be prepared—

Anyone who's read the letters between Hamilton and Laurens are probably aware that Laurens' seem much less affectionate.

There's a couple things you should keep in mind here:
• Laurens was married by the time he met Hamilton
• Hasn't had the best experiences relationship-wise
—*cough* Francis Kinloch *cough*
• Their entire relationship was illegal

Francis Kinloch
Where do I begin?
Laurens and Kinloch met in Geneva, Switzerland during their college studies in 1774. Their relationship blossomed during this time, and it is very likely the two were lovers.
Laurens' father (Henry, the little sh-) wished for him to go to London to start studying law, despite his desire to remain in Geneva for another year.
One can only assume why.
*wink*
*wonk*

After moving to London, Laurens writes to Kinloch:

"If my Letter is a little confused, don't be surprised at it, for I am quite like a Creature in a new World, and shall be for some time in an unsettled State."

He goes on to explain his living conditions and the detest he had for the city.
He then writes:

"...I don't know when I shall get into such a valuable Set of Acquaintance as I have left. But perhaps for the present, the fewer Acquaintance I have, the better it will be for me. I am confirm'd in the opinion that you and I both had at Geneve respecting our young Countrymen, by what I have seen and heard since my Arrival here."

He's pretty much saying that he knows he won't find another friend like Kinloch in London.
It's the close of the letter that seems more affectionate.

"It grows so late that I must bid you Adieu, kiss all the pretty Genevoises for me, and don't delay to write to your affectionate John Laurens."

Sound somewhat familiar? Most of Laurens' letters to Kinloch and his wife mirror the ones he writes to Hamilton, if not in a different tone and wording.

Only one problem: Kinloch was a Loyalist, and Laurens was a Patriot. Their differing views likely caused rifts in their relationship, but it's quite clear Laurens cares for him deeply, saying:

"You and I may differ my Dear Kinloch in our political Sentiments but I shall always love you from the Knowledge I have of your Heart."

That's much more affectionate than we see in most of his letters to Hamilton.
Does that mean he loved him less?
No, not necessarily.
He grew cautious.

Because Kinloch had to be a biiiiiiiiiscuit and break poor Laurens' heart.

"If I knew how to thank you for your letter, I would do it, but as the case is, you must be satisfied, my dear Laurens, with my telling you that it gave me the highest pleasure... whatever may be your idea of my manner of thinking in political affairs, don't let that hinder you from telling me yours, and I promise to be as free with you: we hold too fast by one anothers hearts, my dear Laurens, to be afraid of exposing our several opinions to each other."

Seems fine, right?
Well, as you read on, it starts to make sense why Laurens started to become more conservative.

"If you see any one I know, among the Carolinians of your acquaintance present my compliments; I would not be thought to have forgot them or my country. Be certain that I shall never forget you."

He basically broke up with him.
Over a letter.
How low can you go?

Even through just these letters, however, you can see the differing views between the two men.
Laurens' "I will always love you" seems as though he wishes for the relationship to grow stronger and continue.
Kinloch's "I will never forget you" tells thats he's ready to move on.