6. Terrible Descisions and Teen Deceptions

"Mom," Sofia suddenly stops the wheelchair I'm pushing her in. She has crutches that will work but I wanted to get her out of the hospital and into the car as quick as possible. So when I brought the wheelchair to the room and gave her the look that left no room for agreement she got in. "What about Dad? You promised him that we would tell him when we left."

"Sam can tell him."

"No, Mom," Sofia pushes the wheelchair's break. "We have to check on him."

"Sofia." I sigh, just as the wheelchair starts moving again. "Sofia, we're not going to see your dad."

Hurt clouds my daughter's face. "But you promised him we'd say bye if he'd leave my room. And he doesn't remember leaving so it's not fair to be mean to him." A slow grin covers her face when she realizes she just won the argument. "I can see it on your face Mom, you feel guilty."

Five minutes later, we're walking into the dark hospital room. Michael, who was sitting in a chair by the widow, stands when he notices us.

"I thought you guys left."

"We kinda forgot, but mom remembered and here we are." Sofia lies through her teeth before I can cay anything.

Michael looks at me, then back to Sofia. "You forgot I was here?" Micheal looks back at me, his eyes showing what I already know. He's not dumb and he used to know me well. I run from confrontation.

He just runs away.

"Anyway," Sofia, rolls the wheelchair toward her dad. "Sam said you were getting released so Mom and I agreed that you should come over for dinner."

"Sofia!" I shout, noticing a sad smile start to develop on Michael's face.

"As much as I'd love to." Michael looks at me. "I don't think your mother-"

"She's fine with it." Sofia says and I'm stuck floundering like an emotional idiot.

"Sofia." Micheal and I say at the same time. "Go find Sam, and sit with him while I speak to your father." I tell her, turning the wheelchair.

"But-"

"Sofia." I look at her, motioning for the door. "Sam, now."

"Michael." I close the door once Sofia is gone. "You have to try to understand how difficult this situation is. You've been gone for years, so much has changed."

"Kate," he sighs, sitting back down. His eyes don't meet mine as he looks at his hands. "I don't even know what to tell you. We were happy and then I woke up in a hospital, alone and unable to find my wife or children."

"There's almost a decade you hurt you conveniently don't remember."

The room is silent for a while, both of us in our own world.

"It's you." The deep voice makes me jump, causing me to look up from the book. "I never thought I'd see you again."

When I look up, most striking pair of green eyes are observing me.

It's been two months since I found the man in the alleyway. He's was so close to death, I never thought I'd see him again.

"They healed up nicely didn't they?" He asks, motioning to the pink scars on his face. I can feel my face flush as I realize I was staring. "May I?" He motions to the empty chair across the table.

"Of course. I'm happy to see you doing... better." His arm is in a sling but it doesn't take away from the tight T-shirt covering his chest.

"Thank-you." He looks at me, with absolute seriousness. "Thank-you for stopping, thank-you for getting me to a hospital, thank-you for saving me."

"Can I ask you something?"

A slow, lazy grin crosses his face and I'm transfixed. "What happened?"

Still transfixed, I nod.

"I was jumped, nothing all that cool. I put up a fight when a group of guys tried to get my wallet."

"Seems like you put up a fight."

"I was winning until the baseball bat showed up."

I can't help but cringe at the thought of all that must have happened in that alley.

"Sorry." I apologize, feeling as if I should have never asked.

"You don't have to apologize." He laughs, before suddenly glancing directly at me. "Um, I never got your name."

"Oh, Katherine." I reach across the table to shake his hand, before shrugging. "Kate."

I sharp breath leaves me when his hand grips mine. It's warm, calloused, and sends tingles up my arm.

"It's nice to meet you, Kate." He's still shaking my hand moments later when the name 'Michael' is called.

"It was nice to see you Michael." I wave at him as he stands. When he nods, I look down at the book in front of me.

Only a few minutes later, an iced coffee is set on the table in front of me.

"I noticed you right when I walked it in." He confesses, lightly chuckling as he motions to the empty coffee on my table. "I..uh.." He scratches the back of his neck.

"Well, if you're not in a hurry." I motion to the chair he was previously sitting in.

"I told them you were dead." I sigh, looking at Michael, watching as a look of horror covers his face. I'm suddenly filled with the need to defend myself. "Don't you dare look at me like that Michael." I growl at him, anger starting to course through my blood. "Their father left with no intention of coming back. I was trying to protect them."

"Kate, I don't know why I left, but I love my children, and I love you-"

"Please." I hold my hand up as he approaches.

"No matter where I was going, I had every intention of coming home. The three of you were - are-" He corrects himself instantly. "Everything to me."

The pain in his voice is so convincing, I finally believe he has absolutely no memory of leaving.

"You can come for dinner but please wait, I need some time.. Mikey..." I look at my son's father and try to find some words to explain how much has changed. "He's angry, Michael. So angry. I need to at least warn him."

"Okay." He agrees, with a nod. "I just want a chance Kate, a chance to see our kids. Our twins."

And our Arianna.

This is a terrible decision.

***
I'm baaaaack. I updated "Guard Me" too!

I have a new story I want to start but I have three stories already started😭
Actually, I have 8 unpublished stories but.. yeah...