9. Panic and Promise

Arianna's tear-stained face is the first thing to greet us as we walk inside.

"He scared her and she had to get her inhaler!" Mikey shouts, shooting Michael an accusatory glances over my shoulder.

"I'm sure he didn't mean to." Sofia butts in, rubbing her little sister's shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Piccola." (Little one) Michael looks at Arianna. "I was very surprised."

"Good surprised?" Arianna sniffles from the couch.

"Yes, Piccola," Michael kneels down, to her level as she approaches. "The best surprise, I can't wait to get to know you better."

"This is bull." Mikey shouts, from the top of the stairs. "We're seriously believing him? He's probably lying about the surgery, I bet he's friends with the doctor and payed him just to screw with us."

"Mikey-"

"Can we just eat dinner!?" Sofia screams, slamming the glass plates at the table. "Please." She requests, on the verge of tears.

"Whatever." Mikey storms toward his room.

"Sweetheart," I tell Sofia. "I still have to change and then we can all sit."

Although, I don't know how easy it will be to get Mikey down here. Should I make him? I turn to ask Sam's opinion, when I see him and Michael in a stare down and I realize I can't leave them alone together.

"Sam," I get the attention of both men. "Can you help me?"

When Sam starts to climb the stairs I realize I'm not comfortable leaving the girls alone with Michael.

"Arianna, upstairs with me too, and Sofia go check on your brother. Michael," I address the confused man standing in the front room. "Just wait a second, we have a rule about dirty scrubs not being worn through the house."

"Oh my gosh." I cry, the second the door to my bedroom closes. "Oh my-" Strong arms wrap around me, holding me as I sink to the ground.

"Arianna, go turn on the tv." Sam tells my daughter before carrying me to the master bathroom and closing the door.

"This is a disaster." I sob, starting to panic as Sam sets me on the floor before reaching over and turning on the shower.

"Agreed." He sighs, nudging my shoulder. "I don't know why you let him come over tonight. You've ruined Mikey and I's boy night." He mockingly complains making me laugh through sobs as he sits on the floor.

"Why did you turn the shower on already?" I ask him with a frown, wiping away tears.

"The structure of this house is shit, Kate." He laughs in response. "You can hear everything downstairs. I wouldn't want your guest to know we're up here talking about him."

"I'm sure he knows." I mutter before a gasp escapes me. "What the hell was with that kiss earlier, Sam?"

"Was he pissed?" Sam starts laughing when I punch him. "Honestly, I was too scared to look."

"Sam, I'm serious. I don't want to start a fight, please."

"Fine." He raises his hands in mock surrender. "No more mind games. I have a real question though," His tone becomes serious and I straighten up. "What are you going to do about Mikey?"

"I don't know." The tears slowly start again. "I hate him so much and yet when we were standing on the porch all I could think of was when we were happy. I used to think we were so happy. He was locked away," I start sobbing again. "I was over it and now here he is, wanting marriage counseling?" My voice screeches. "And Sofia is begging me to let him stay in the guest room."