19~

"I wish I could explain what happened." Michael calms states to my father who shakes with rage. "I wish I understood it."

"What's there to understand you bastard?" My father spits, taking a threatening step toward Michael, and I jump between them while Michael tenses for the hit we both see coming.

"Daddy, we will discuss this calmly."

"What are you doing, Katherine?" My father's angry brown eyes dart to my own before they soften along with his tone. "What are you allowing to happen here? How will this effect your children?"

The overwhelming heartache I feel from my father's question almost brings me to my knees. 'What are you doing?' My mind screams. I can clearly see my children if Michael leaves again. They'll be broken. My eyes hesitantly glance to Michael, he notices and a distraught look covers his face.

"Our children need their father." Michael calmly states, his intense gaze branding me.

"Your children have needed a father for the past eight years!" Michael's calm facade slips as my father's face reddens. "Sam's been more of a father than you and he's not even related to them." My father's tone gets quiet, spiteful even, as he hurls the cruel statement at Michael who steps back as if he's been hit.

The pallor that suddenly washes away all color Michael had tugs at my heart and I reach for his arm, gently rubbing it.

"Daddy, Sam is not the children's father." I find my voice, it's soft and uneven but there. "He cares for them deeply but he's not theirs." I glance at Michael who watches me. "We don't know where Michael's been but I don't doubt that he love our children." It's true, no matter what, I refuse to believe that Michael stopped loving his own flesh and blood. Me? Yes. Our children? No. "As much as Sam cares for them, he could never replace Michael. Sofia loves Sam, but the last church daddy-daughter dance he took her to she cried, and Mikey has such a chip on his shoulders."

"That's because you moved away from New York, Katherine." My father softly tells me, his anger dissipating at the thought of his grandchildren. "You should have stayed where your mother and could have helped you."

My fathers words are something I think about everyday.

"Kate." My mothers soft voice causes me to freeze. "Sweetheart,  just come home."

"I can't, Momma." I whisper lightly, resuming my packing. 'Only the necessities' I remind myself and I quickly remove one of Michael's shirts for the box of things on our bed. "We have to go." I can't stay in New York.

"Kate, let your father and I help you." My mother, grips my shaking hand, holding it steady. Her blue eyes bore into mine own, they're soft and full of sadness. "You don't have to take care of them alone."

"We can't stay here." I tell her as she gently reaches for my face. "I can't stay here." I start to repeat shaking my head as the sadness I had been holding at bay washes through my veins. "I can't stay here." My body feels numb, I can hardly feel my mother pull me into her arms.

"We had to leave." I remind my parents. "It was what was best." My father's jaw tightens as he glares beside me.

"You've always made rash decisions, Katherine." My fathers glare softens as he turns to me. "They've all been fine decisions in the end but this won't be... He-" My father motions to the stone like man that stands next to me. "Has never been a wise decision."

When I glance back at Michael, I can hardly tell if he's breathing anymore. He stands as stiff as a statue, and when he looks down at me, his green eyes sear through me.

He doesn't remember the past eight years. I may not know much else about him, but I do know that he loves his children.

"Are you both staying here for awhile?" I ask, looking between my parents. My father sighs, glancing back at my mother who nods.

"If you have the room." My father smiles softly down at me, he may disagree but he'll be here to support me despite his disagreement. "You can stay in the guest room." I tell them, turning to Michael. "If you don't mind sleeping on the couch."

"Sure." He nods absentmindedly, seemly looking straight through me. "Whatever you need."

"Michael?" I question the man who remains motionless even as my parents leave to go to get their things.

"I'm sorry." He whispers to me. "I'm so sorry, Kate." He squeezes his eyes closed. "I've been so focused on how I felt, I haven't truly considered how hard the past few years have been for you." When he opens his eyes, they're swimming in sadness. "I've been so selfish. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have-"

"No, Michael," I reach for him. "This situation is difficult but we'll get through it."

"Will we?" He ask, his unwavering gaze making it difficult to breathe.

"For the kids, yes, we'll have to."

His response is a soft frown.

"For the kids.."

***