10~

"So, Mom?" Sofia looks at me expectantly as the final touchdown it's scored, determining the winner of the game. "Can Dad just stay here?"

The room, which has been full of awkward tension remains silent, all eyes on me as everyone awaits my decision.

Those crystal doe-eyes are the most difficult to say 'no' to.

"Yes," Sofia's eyes immediately spark with excitement. "Your father can stay in the guest room until- until" I repeat when her eyes glaze over and I realize she stopped listening. "He finds somewhere to stay."

"Or decides to leave." Mikey mutters, obviously unhappy about the development and not afraid to let everyone know. A sharp look from me causes him to raise his hands in surrender.

"Say goodnight, then get upstairs. You guys have school tomorrow."

"Goodnight mom," My son quickly kisses my cheek, before fist bumping Sam. "See you in the morning, Sam. Michael." He waves it his father before running up the stairs before I can shout at him.

"He's still angry." I tell Michael, who's looking at the stairs with a frown. "He just needs some time, I'm honestly surprised he came down."

"He came down to let me know I'm not welcome but it's okay," He assures me with a sad smile. "I'm going to change his impression of me, I won't let him down again. Or you." He adds, gently touching my arm, causing me to step back.

Sofia and Arianna quickly whisper goodnight to their father, before kissing Sam on the cheek and running upstairs.

"The guest room is this way." I motion down the hall to the two doors. "Left is the bathroom, right is the room."

The small guest room is for Sam whose loneliness sometimes gets to be too much for him. Maddie's death left a darkness that sometimes threatens to pull him down.

"It's a nice calming grey." Sam mutters from the couch as he turns off the tv. "Charming, as Kate calls it."

"There's a lot of stuff in there that Sam doesn't use if you need anything. Clothes, toiletries, and what-not."

"Not that any of it will fit." Sam says, standing and motioning to a stiff Michael, who, of the two men is much more intimidating to say the least. "Kate, I'm staying over."

"I'm worried about him staying here, Kate."
Sam whispers into my ear while helping me clean the kitchen. "I mean, what if he suddenly gets his memory back in the middle of the night and he's actually crazy."

"I'm kinda worried to." I tell him honestly. "Not about the crazy part but..."

"I'm staying then, put him in the guest room and I'll take the couch."

"Sam." I roll my eyes at his ridiculous suggestion. "You'll sleep in my room."

"I thought we weren't provoking the ex." He tells me with a boyish grin.

"We're not." I tell him sharply. "You can come up once he's asleep."

"Sneaky, I like it."

"Okay," I wave him off, focusing on Michael's blank look. "If you don't need anything."

"A private word, please." The sincerity behind the word has me nodding.

We walk down the hall to the guest room and when then he immediately pushes me against the wall. It's gentle but startles me nonetheless, and in the dark room, my senses are on high alert.