Chapter 14

Kaida's weekly meeting with the Queen came again.

As she entered, she met Elara getting ready, facing a full length mirror. A servant girl carefully put on her jewellery and outer layers.

Elara was helped into a pale lace gown, that had dramatic draping sleeves.

A cloak was placed on her shoulders and white lace gloves were slipped onto her hands.

"My Queen? We can reschedule if you're busy."

"Oh, Kaida! Hello again, sweet girl. I swear I never hear you coming. You're as stealthy as an Iral."

Elara stepped down from her pedestal, turning to face Kaida. Her cloak arced around her as she spun.

"Actually, I wanted you to come with me. Maven told me he's taking you to the Grand Ball, and that of course, requires a gown. I thought a late night escapade to my tailors could be... fun."

"That sounds wonderful, although I didn't come prepared."

Elara clicked at the servant girl, who handed Kaida a pale blue, fur lined cloak.

"That is easily taken care of."

The dress shop was close enough to walk to.

The Palace guards surrounded Elara and Kaida, two in front and two behind, forming a barrier protecting them.

The two guards at the front were Sentinels, faceless and sharp eyed through their metal masks.

At this time on a Winter's night the streets of Archeon where quiet. A few Silvers hurried home, wrapping their outer garments tightly around them.

A mist of icy air emerged from Kaida's lips as she breathed out, but she didn't feel the cold.

"You know Kaida, I think you're rather preferable. I have grown fond of you over the coming weeks. Yes, I enjoy your company but our meetings aren't all random chatter. They have context. I hope you know that. If you're going to become a part of this family, you need to know your duty. How to behave and navigate Court."

Kaida bristled.

She had a feeling Elara was grooming her for life as a Royal, always wanting to teach her and share experiences with her.

Almost, taking her on as a daughter figure.

"You would make a delectable Princess. Imagine us, side by side. Queen and Princess."

Elara had her own visions, the way she wanted the world to be.

"Nothing is set in stone. I don't see myself as one of you. I don't see myself as a Princess. My father could return any day now, and my life could perhaps even return to normalcy."

Kaida took the pessimistic approach. She didn't want things to return to normal but she felt uncomfortable speaking of herself as a Princess in the Palace.

It didn't feel natural.

She was still Kaida, from Prince State. A pure born Red.

She remembered Charlie's words all those months ago, when they stood together in Elias's workshop.

'Can you imagine being locked up in some fancy Palace with nothing to do but sit and look pretty.'

Unfortunately, that was Kaida's life now.

"I can assure you, things will never be normal for you again."

Elara clasped here hands under her cloak, looking down at her protégée.